Notices

I would like to read your thoughts on this...

Old 09-04-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Sounds like a bunch of kids, not sober people with over 30 years sobriety. Jeez.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

here is why you dont pick up you chip early. Even one day is too early.
pick it up after you get back. This is understood at our meetings.

madbird

Posts: After 30 years of mostly contented sobriety, but the last 10 of those years not going to meetings, I also had the brilliant thought, "it's been 30 years, I can handle it now."

I've been drinking a year and a half, and it's gradually getting more and more out of control. A few weeks ago, my husband told me I got mean with him, and I don't remember any of it.

I'm looking for outside support like I've found on here, and may even consider going back to meetings again. Like I said before, I want my sober life back. I think you've come to the right place, too.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
DAB

Originally Posted by ersatzmatriarch View Post
my thoughts about the group conscience are that maybe one should be called to address the whole 'taking others inventories' thing... not about when to give chips. i feel that calling another person out in a meeting (for whatever reason) is not a good idea, and especially if newcomers witness that. i know if i had sat in a meeting really early on where people were going back and forth about other people's sobriety or recovery (in any context), i would have likely not returned. it would have made me feel policed and unsafe...
The newcomers that were there that evening did not return.
I have a feeling that this whole shenanigan is the main reason why.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Back in my sickness, I was always looking for a payoff without doing the work necessary to bring it about. Now, I try to live differently.

Regarding this thread, I hope I never expect to pick up a token before I've earned it. I earn it on my birthday....not the week before, not the year before, ON that day. For that reason, I won't give a token to a sponsee prior to their day. If they have other priorities that delay getting their token, then they've made their choice as to their priorities. And let's be honest, there's a lot better life to be lived than the day one gets a token from a drunk / recovered drunk for the work God has done in their life.

Now, if someone else wants their token before they've earned it.....while I'd not do that....they can do whatever they want. I don't care too much what someone else does in their recovery practice, but they better!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Bender View Post
.....recovery nazi.....too funny. There's always one. No chip for you.
and calling them a nazi.......because they don't work things the way you do......is ok --BUT-- them asking someone else to work the program they way they do is wrong?

double standards much?