Notices

Serenity and Solitude Serving Sobriety

Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Serenity and Solitude Serving Sobriety

So I went towards the top of the mountain to take my usual daily walk with my dogs. I decided half way up I would stop at a lower trail which is closer to the hustle and bustle of the valley. Another group was approaching with their dogs and I my dogs became anxious so I decided to continue on up to the top.

I was glad I did, it reminded me of why I liked it in the first place. It is so high up that not many go there. The silence is so loud it is deafening, the only thing I could hear where the faint noises of the wildlife. Chirping and burping as they do almost in harmony with each other. It has recently rained and the strong smell of chlorophyll and photosynthesis infiltrated heavily into my lungs with a sweet dose of oxygen rich atmosphere.

It was a heady vibrant mix of sensory perception, the leaves actually already starting to turn this high up, the sun lightly poking it's smiling face through the tree canopies and those great sounds and smells.

It was such a natural endorphin release in place of what normally would have been the evening beer rush. Now after a long busy day I felt at ease, at peace with myself in this tranquility. I reflected on how far I have come and how far I still want to go. All the successes and all the failures but mostly how much I have achieved and why it is so important that I continue this path.

The right path, the sober path.

If any of you feel stressed over thoughts of drinking try serenity in what ever form you can get it. It really does help.

Have a great sober weekend everyone.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just told my girl that i'm thinking of living a life of solitude. She hasn't talked to me since
Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Sounds like it was an awesome moment you enjoyed there, Sudz. I have enjoyed times like that too, where the silence is full of sound just as you described. I find that I can access that serenity at home too, it takes a little different mindset, more mindful maybe.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

I got relaxed and serene just reading your post, Sudz No More. There is something about being out in the woods with just me and my dog that always seemed "just right". I think that's the kind of feeling we have been chasing in the bottle, but it became elusive and we could never find it again. That feeling is out there, just not in a bottle.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

Thanks for reminding me. It's been way too long since I have been in the woods. I know being with nature helps me in my sobriety.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow Sudz...awesome post.

I have moments of similar reflection at times...like my walk along the beach at sunrise the other morning (Florida East coast).

Where the sea rolls onto the sand of the beach is the demarcation line of humanity in my mind.

On the "sand side"...we are the custodians of this land and have dominion over every creature on it.

On the sea side...we are out of our element and at the bottom of the food chain.

A very humbling thought...I thought.

The upper elevations of the mountains are beautiful. Life at sea level is low as you can go with dry feet.

Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

This sparked a memory of something I just read in a book.

The author visited a healing man in Bali, and she asked him about meditation, and he said he'd teach her an easy, effective meditation. He told her to sit in a comfortable position and smile. Smile, smile all over, even make her liver smile.

I tried it, good stuff. I thought the liver part was especially a nice touch for folks like us.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
This sparked a memory of something I just read in a book.

The author visited a healing man in Bali, and she asked him about meditation, and he said he'd teach her an easy, effective meditation. He told her to sit in a comfortable position and smile. Smile, smile all over, even make her liver smile.

I tried it, good stuff. I thought the liver part was especially a nice touch for folks like us.
The name of the book may I ask?

I do believe that various forms of meditation helps us overcome the cravings. It would seem rather apparent that a large part of our continuing addiction is stress, anxiety relief based. A form of self medication to release endorphins that calm our frayed nerves and help us forget our daily grief.

Even if you have the best day ever you will probably still struggle with cravings early on and finding a way to get that endorphin release without imbibing is key to possible success.

I have also believed for some time now that a natural fluctuation in dopamine may be partly responsible for relapses. Getting in some regular meditation may help to balance out the brain. I'm not saying we have to get into a Yoga position and start humming with our eyes closed

Just finding moments like the walk in the woods or sitting quietly reading a good book can help. Anything to keep the balance where it belongs.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

The book is "Eat,Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Interesting parallel to what you share above. In the book, the author had just left India after spending 4 months in an ashram practicing yoga and DEEP meditation, then she goes to Bali and the healing man she is with tells her that when he sees people doing yoga they look like they are in pain, all twisted up and he shares the smiling meditation with her.

I find sitting meditations, emptying the mind so far, not to be compatible with me. Maybe some day? At any rate, I do get a great deal out of contemplation, and walking meditation be it labyrinths or hiking. But I am trying out the smiling meditation too.

I'm an artist and getting lost in my work is sort of a very deep contemplation too.

I've been doing Sun bathing lately to help with mood, balance, sleep and heck just about everything else. I felt a significant difference in three days.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
The book is "Eat,Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Interesting parallel to what you share above. In the book, the author had just left India after spending 4 months in an ashram practicing yoga and DEEP meditation, then she goes to Bali and the healing man she is with tells her that when he sees people doing yoga they look like they are in pain, all twisted up and he shares the smiling meditation with her.

I find sitting meditations, emptying the mind so far, not to be compatible with me. Maybe some day? At any rate, I do get a great deal out of contemplation, and walking meditation be it labyrinths or hiking. But I am trying out the smiling meditation too.

I'm an artist and getting lost in my work is sort of a very deep contemplation too.

I've been doing Sun bathing lately to help with mood, balance, sleep and heck just about everything else. I felt a significant difference in three days.
Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Threshold...your post caught my attention about the sunbathing.

I have been fighting a lack of Vitamin D for years. I just didn't know it until I was diagnosed with it and put on Rx suppliments by the doc.

Long story short...I felt no improvement with the Rx suppliments at all but a few months ago I bought a fishing boat that I can go out into the ocean with. When by myself I strip down naked !!! Hey nobody around for miles...just me ! No shame here.

I find that if I get just a little "pink" all over but not burned...then dress so I don't burn. I do this once to twice a week and it is AMAZING how much better I feel everyday !!! Depression, Anxiety and just my overall outlook on life is improved tremendously this summer...and Iam feeling better than I have in a long time.

Plus I'am saving a fortune on groceries by putting some really good fish in the freezer!!

Just thought I would share that.

Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Beautiful descriptive post Thanks for sharing your experience. Loved reading it, and the great reminder.