Notices

lying or exaggerating when drinking.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lying or exaggerating when drinking.

Does anyone lie or exaggerate when drinking? I constatly tell everyone im around how rich and successful I am. Its utter BS that comes from my mouth. Very sad.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Well, you are going to be sober now, right? So it doesn't matter what you did when you were drinking.

Just make sure you are honest in recovery--especially about your recovery. Let the past go.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I lived in a cloud of bigotry and ignorance. I had an opinion about everything and knew nothing about anything.

Then I found a program that demands rigorous honesty
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL I was always somebody else when I was drinking! Then I hit a bottom and couldn't even look myself in the mirror. Recovery is the way to go. Don't dwell on the good or bad times you had while you were drinking. Keep it green, but remember that sobriety is so much better.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking IS living in a fantasy land
Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think exaggerating and drinking seem to go together. My dad, whom I've mentioned often, lies about everything. He's most likely at the point of end stage alcoholism. He started to embellish stories when I was in highschool. He would exaggerate about our accomplishments, lie about our home, cars, careers, future plans. He would make up complete stories that had no truth whatsoever! When people would ask our family about his comments, he would get caught, and it just seemed like one more thing to try to explain or rationalize that "maybe they misunderstood." After a while, we've decided that alcohol has poisoned his brain to the point that he doesn't even know if he's telling the truth or not. It's REALLY bad. When confronted, he gets defensive and treats us like we're the crazy ones. That's one of many reasons why I haven't seen him in the last two years. My sister is getting married next weekend, so this should be interesting. By this time, everyone knows that he's a severe alcoholic so we don't have to feel the need to 'cover' for him anymore.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't do that so much. I'm generally a pretty straight shooter. To a fault some would say.

But I did have a drinking buddy that would claim to read minds, get abducted by aliens, all sorts of crazy ****. It was amusing for a while, but turned pretty pathetic as it became less and less plausible, and he became more and more insistent.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The only thing I lied about when drunk was how many drinks I had: "I haven't had too much, this is only like my third drink!"
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ya I used to tell girls at bars I was in law school just to seal the deal. I ended up getting serious with one of them and had to pretend like I was going to school everyday. I finally got caught after my mom told her the truth. It was suck a nightmare I can't believe the monster alcohol turned me into. I was insane. I've been sober and honest for almost two years
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking is lying -> Lying to yourself that there's a point to doing so...
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by selfsabotage View Post
Drinking is lying -> Lying to yourself that there's a point to doing so...
IMO the underlying cause of all drinking and drugging is delusional thinking.

Keep in mind "delusional" is not stupid, ignorant or even foolish thinking. The kind of delusional thinking that I am talking about is simply self-deception.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hahahaa! Grateful, I told guys I was in law school too! My college friend and I would be bombed and tell guys we were brain surgeons, saying" I look in da head and ah fix da brains!" I've always felt my career status was waaay inadequate and made up all sorts of crap when drinking. Ugh, I needed my brain fixed! Still do!'
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't believe I ever lied about the details of my life while I was drinking. I never claimed I was wealthy or claimed I was a doctor or a lawyer or that I was actually a CIA operative . But I'm sure I embellished to a degree, or more likely, I left out inconvenient details that may not fit whatever narrative I had going at the moment.

For example, I graduated from a well-known university, but when drinking and talking with a woman I just met, I would probably leave out that I attended two years of community college before transferring to that more prestigious university. The community college attendance isn't quite as impressive as saying I graduated from Big-Shot University, and since I wasn't lying I'd just leave it out. That sort of thing.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

From the BB on how it works.

Being convinced, we were at Step Three, which is that we decided to turn our will and our life over to God as we understood Him. Just what do we mean by that, and just what do we do?

The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success. On that basis we are almost always in collision with something or somebody, even though our motives are good. Most people try to live by self-propulsion. Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show; is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the scenery and the rest of the players in his own way. If his arrangements would only stay put, if only people would do as he wished, the show would be great. Everybody, including himself, would be pleased. Life would be wonderful. In trying to make these arrangements our actor may sometimes be quite virtuous. He may be kind, considerate, patient, generous; even modest and self-sacrificing. On the other hand, he may be mean, egotistical, selfish and dishonest. But, as with most humans, he is more likely to have varied traits.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One of my old drinking buddies was so full of sh*t. He would say things that you couldn't believe he would lie about..some kind of mental illness thing exacerbated by lots of drinking? Anyways, he just poked his head up the other day and we were "reminiscing"...

Thanks for reminding me how great it is not to live in a baloney sandwich anymore!