Notices

Naltrexone

Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone

I got a prescription from my doctor for naltrexone which I will be starting either tonight or tomorrow to help me stay on the right path being sober for 10 days now. I still have yet to attend an AA meeting because the religious overtones are a bit much for me and I may look for a secular program.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pinktee,
I am not religious, but I went to a lot of AA meetings. I liked listening to the others share, it gave me a definite commitment for the day. I went to lots of different meetings, some more helpful than others. I liked getting the coins. I never did the steps.....well, I did step one. They also have online meetings that can be interesting.
Congratulations on 10 days!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Okay I took one pill of naltrexone 50 mg and im sleepy I'm going to ask my doctor if I should take it at night time or take half since i react to the smallest doses of things very very easily
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are taking steps to insure your sobriety Pink. I hope this is the time for you.

I agree with your sentiments about AA, I found that a personal counselor helped me.

Keep up the good work
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by pinktee18 View Post
Okay I took one pill of naltrexone 50 mg and im sleepy I'm going to ask my doctor if I should take it at night time or take half since i react to the smallest doses of things very very easily
I reacted to it in the same way. It would also make me feel spaced out and weird. GL with it though.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was on them and didnt think they did anything for me. I drank on top of them.
But hit bottom and was ready to surrender, that when i stopped booze and Naltrexone
Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Hi Pinktee,
I am not religious, but I went to a lot of AA meetings. I liked listening to the others share, it gave me a definite commitment for the day. I went to lots of different meetings, some more helpful than others. I liked getting the coins. I never did the steps.....well, I did step one. They also have online meetings that can be interesting.
Congratulations on 10 days!
I'm an atheist and I attend AA twice a week.

i need to hear other's stories to help me understand the things I feel/experience are not abnormal. In fact, since we're all experiencing the same thing it helps me stay resolute on my decision to not drink.

to the OO's original question: I tried Naltrexone a few years back. It worked, but it also made me feel disconnected from reality. it seemed to block all pleasure receptors in my brain. Sweets, cigarettes, coffee, sex... nothing felt good. life was without joy, so I had to stop.

Your mileage may vary, but I hated that stuff.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't care for AA. It adds to my anxiety. I don't like having to be someplace at a certain time. Including AA. When I was drinking it included , Work, school, weddings a funeral etc. If I finally get to the event, the anxiety passes. Then it starts all over the next time. I now add bars and parties to the list. They are anxiety clinics. I do like walks, gym, reading, computer surfing, even church, when it feels right. I learned to like education again. I don't like organized sports, but I love playing any sport. It's weird.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MCR

You need to use Naltrexone correctly

Naltrexone is supposed to be used WITH alcohol. If you are already abstinent you should not use it. The Book "The Cure for Alcoholism" by Roy Eskapa ISBN 978-193785613-7 explains in detail what the "Sinclair Method" is and how to use Naltrexone properly. Naltrexone should be taken one hour before you plan to drink. The drug blocks the opiod receptors in the brain reducing or eliminating the reinforcement we get from the endorphins that are released when we drink. Over time (3-4 months), Pharmacological extinction occurs as you stop receiving all the reinforcement when you drink. I was a pretty heavy/daily drinker for years... the first week I used Naltrexone WITH alcohol I cut my drinking in half....by the end of one month it is cut by two-thirds and I find my desire to drink is almost completely gone now. I recommend it highly but, you have to use it correctly. Babylon Confidential is a book by Claudia Christian (actress) who describes her life and spiral out of control due to alcohol and drug use. She found out about Naltrexone and was able to get her life back and on track again. I recommend both books and the medicine highly.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Talking Liver medications

Has anyone ever heard of medications used to treat liver disease being used to reduce alcohol consumption urges? I saw a mention of that on a TV
(20/20) eposode a few years ago and didn't write the name of the med down.