Notices

Labor Day Weekend Pact! Who's in?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I just love this site and the bond we all share. Things are sounding good in here!!! Keep it up friends!

Usually I'd be well on my way to blackout by now, but I got up and took my pups out, made a delicious and healthy breakfast, weighed in and lost 2 lbs!!, vacuumed, showered, and now I'm going to take myself out to the local coffee shop to grade some papers and lesson plan. Usually, the only getting out would be to get more booze. What a pathetic waste of a beautiful life. Onward and upward to more fulfilling times.

I'm thinking of you all....enjoy the day!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is still going strong!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Doing good! Got really mad at a TV remote but didn't want to drink over it!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Just thought I'd check in Fishing was a success yesterday. I had actually never caught anything in my life (I'm 34 years old!) and yesterday I caught 3 bluegill The temptation to drink wasn't there at all. My boyfriend had one beer the entire day and his brother had two in an eight hour time span. As for myself I had over a liter of water and was just fine with that. I think at one point it was over 90 degrees yesterday!

While I got home I made an entry in my new recovery journal about the day, how I felt, thoughts in general, etc. During my last attempt at sobriety, I didn't journal anything and felt that my thoughts just ran wild, so this has been helping me a lot. I feel that my mind is quiet after writing and reading the entry.

I think today we are headed back to the "fishin' hole.' I don't have to be back at work until next Thursday, but I'll be very busy. The semester started again and I have a lot of homework to do, plus a paper to write before Thursday. ( I have an associate's degree in nursing, but going back for my BSN). Today will be my last day of the vacation to really relax and have fun.

As I was fishing yesterday, I realized that if I had drank, the day would have been much more boring and I wouldn't have been able to focus on anything except how much alcohol was left, which is what I used to do at any event. My thoughts would have been consumed with eyeing the supply, getting my 'share', and wondering if I could talk my boyfriend into stopping at the liquor store on the way home. It was nice to turn my attention away from that yesterday and actually have fun without all the extra stress.

Today I'm up early again. The house is quiet and my dog is staring at me while I drink my coffee. I think he even notices that I'm not drinking alcohol

Have a good day everyone, wish me luck fishing! I feel like today is going to be a good one
Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

That's great blkoutgrl!!
I can really appreciate the different perspective you had on the fishing day and the deliverance from temptations. Hopefully you'll have another victorious day. The choice is up to each of us daily. Be blessed
Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It has been such a waste of a beautiful life and relationships. Sobriety has far more benefits and each day the struggle gets easier. I hope that everyone is still remaining strong.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well this morning. Thought I'd post on how yesterday went. So I went fishing, caught 9 bluegill but threw them all back since they were small. Still had fun though, and I think I may have a new hobby! Fishing was fine and relaxing, then we hung out with the BF's parents afterwards. They were both drinking and quite intoxicated. I was offered a drink and didn't hesitate to decline. The conversation was o.k. but I got bored quickly. Even though we were sitting outside, the smell of vodka and beer permeated the air. I wasn't restless but annoyed at best. I found myself daydreaming of being at home and away from there. Some people say that vodka doesn't have a smell. I beg to differ.

I eventually told his parents that I wasn't drinking anymore. I didn't go into detail since they were both drunk, but I felt the need to tell them at that moment just to get it out there in the open.

After I got home I felt a sense of relief but exhausted at the same time. Not exhausted from fishing, but mentally tired from trying to pay attention to an endless conversation while trying to stay focused on what they were saying. First they would be laughing, then they would be serious, then they would be moved close to tears, then they would be laughing again....ugh. The emotional ups and downs wore me out. In fact, I still feel tired this morning.

The plan for the day is to clean the house and then sit down to start my homework assignments. I'm not going anywhere today and I'm going to enjoy the peace and quiet of my home and my little Boston Terrier, Ernie.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just woke up for the holiday here, glad not to work today. This is the start of my day 7. My weekend has had a few bumps in the road emotionally, but I am sober and doing some thinking and reading about my plan for staying sober. I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Blackout!

I too love this site! I wore myself out yesterday so I am home with my feet up today, for the most part...Your comments about the conversation yesterday brought back some crazy stuff for me to be around alcohol on so many Holidays. Most were ruined by alcohol and so glad today I can just do normal things. Thanksgiving and Christmas is rough but at least my relatives are nice drinkers. Hope it stays that way!

However, I still have a drama side because I have one ear to the ID channel today. (Investigation Id)! I guess it also feeds my past desires to be a Private Detective. Many hugs and good wishes for your sober day...It's a big accomplishment and keep up the good work. My daughter is also a nurse and works part time. I am so blessed to pick up my Granddaughters for her when she is running late. I am learning much about Hip Hop and Rap and they say I'm a cool Grandma...some of the music is not so bad. I guess I drive too slow tho and it drives them and their friends who hitch a ride too crazy. Thank God they have so far never seen me drunk. If I stick with the winners there's a good chance they never will. For today, which is all I have, I am grateful for sobriety and all the blessings that brings, and my new friends on this site. Carpe Diem
Old 09-02-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi FoolsGold!

So happy to hear that day 7 is a sober day for both of us! In holidays past, I remember how awful it could be the next day at work with such heavy cravings for more alcohol. Sometimes I was going over the dumb stuff I said or, worse, did while celebrating the Holiday. When the work day was finally over I had abandoned my thoughts to not drink so much again and alas, there I was again, with my glass of wine for dinner (huge glass!) and still kicking myself because the cravings were controlling me. Today is serene and pleasant just to enjoy all the things I like to do even tho I am pretty handicapped.

I hope to be able to spend your journey with you with a new life sober and the many blessings it brings physically and emotionally. There is a special bond we share with all we have been thru and now know there is a solution. Hugs and so happy for you to be on day 7. Hope the day is all you want it to be! Carpe Diem and I try to remember this I heard recently and try to use it as a tool with people: expect nothing and accept everything and your life will be easier. So far, it's been a great help. I don't have to try to understand the whys and maybe some hurts. Just accept and keep my side of the road as clean as possible.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Forgot to say how funny that is that the dog knows you are not drinking!! And yes, my cat stars at me too while drinking coffee as if to say, when are you going to quit relaxing and take car of my many needs and play with me??? I seem to have to ability to raise somewhat bratty kids and many animals. They know a soft touch when they see it. Ha!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Lovin the day!!! It's hot in San Diego but the A/C is doing fine. Can't wait til later when I can go on the patio a bit to help the dropping plants.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I gotta say, I never really thought of the labor-day weekend as a big drinking weekend (during my drinking days, every weekend was a big drinking weekend!). But then I go on facebook and most of the status updates are about getting drunk.

It can be triggering for me, because my AV tells me that literally everyone in the whole world is out having a good time except for me! But then I go into work today, and a lot of my co-workers are hungover, quiet, making lots of mistakes. And maybe this is a bit...evil on my part, but I'm just so glad that that's NOT me!!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Labor Day

I remember those hungover days at work and feeling shame. Sometimes I thought I was a stupid drunk until I found out I was very ill. That made all the difference. I learned alcohol changes the brain chemistry. That made sense to me because it was the first one that got me on the roll and I was powerless to stop. I watch the Lay's Potatoe Chip commercial today and it reminds me of those awful craving days. I hope you have many more back to back sober days, you deserve it.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks Ipanema <3

One of my co-workers was making a lot of mistakes today and was really really quiet. I often think he's hung over, drunk, high, or all 3 when I see him. I very very briefly dated him--we hung out a few times, but each time he was drunk and reeked of booze. He also left a lot of drunk rambling messages on my phone. He is always getting into fights and coming to work with injuries to his face/body.

This made me head for the hills, lol. But it was a long time ago and we are friendly at work. Today he was still pretty drunk I think, but I was worried that he might have a head injury or concussion from falling while drunk. He's a really sweet guy, actually, like extremely sensitive, but obviously very damaged inside. It makes me sad to see him hurting himself like this. I know there's nothing I can do though. He just has to figure things out for himself. I'm just hoping it's not too late when he does.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Well Labor Day weekend is over and I didn't drink!!!!!! I had a fun sober weekend with family and friends. I hope that everyone here on SR had a happy safe and sober Labor Day weekend also.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Winner winner chicken dinner! I made it!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good job everyone! The struggle with alcohol is not easy. To be able to talk to others going through the same thing online and in person is a blessing. I didn't want to take this pact originally because I was not sure of myself to be honest and I've broken a lot of promises to myself over drinking. But I am glad to say I made it through the holiday and am now at 16 days sober.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread! It was a successful weekend for me!