Notices

Delerium Tremens

Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delerium Tremens

Has anyone here experienced this form of severe withdrawal? What did you go through and how did you deal with it? How long did it last? Did you take Librium or other meds for withdrawal? Were you hospitalized? I didn't have any or little withdrawal this time I quit drinking. I had an initial hangover but

pretty much nothing after that. Years before when i tried to quit the first time i had no physical withdrawals. Then about 3 weeks into sobriety I had what I like to call an "altered state of consciousness" that lasted about a week. I was sort of tripping my butt off in a good way. I don't know if this altered

state was caused from my meditation practices, from mental health issues, or from alcohol withdrawal or maybe a combination of all those things. maybe somebody else here has had a similar experience?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't had DTs per se. But the withdrawals I suffered were pretty bad. I've never had hallucinations or seizures but I've suffered very elevated blood pressure i.e. 185/105, horrible shaking, neuropathy, profuse sweating, crippling anxiety to the point of panic and unbelievable insomnia. Bad enough, I think. And I never have to go through it again.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Has anyone here experienced this form of severe withdrawal? What did you go through and how did you deal with it? How long did it last? Did you take Librium or other meds for withdrawal? Were you hospitalized?
The first few times I went to the hospital but after experiencing the DT's about a dozen times, I just accepted the fact that that's how I was destined to die.

They typically start out with profuse sweating. There were times when I thought I had wet the bed but it was not yellow and it was head-to-toe.

My hands trembled so much I could not hold a glass. My knees shook so much I could not climb stairs.

I heard voices, music and phones ringing in the next room where ever I went.

I saw wallpaper on the ceiling. Faces in the window. Army's of insects on the floor. Movement on both sides that vanished every time I turned to look straight at it.

My face and chest would twitch for minutes at a time.

One time I watched the TV for about a half hour with the sound turned all the way down and the power turned all the way off. I even pulled the plug and held it in my hand to remind me it could not possibly be real.

Doctors told me I was lucky to be alive after just one of them and said it was a miracle that I survived as many as I did. They went on to say the next level I would experience was seizures followed by heart failure.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the sweats at night yeah. I had dreams where I was awake but couldn't get up I think it's called sleep paralysis. Waking up in cold sweats and hearing people shouting my name , also really bad nightmares. Follwed next night of insomnia and depression n major anxiety.
I'm glad I don't have to live like that anymore.
Peace
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I typed this up while still coming off my first experience with the DT's, in May of 2010. I've been through it again a handfull of times since then. You think a guy would learn.

"My heavy drinking (and I mean being purely drunk, 24/7, for around three weeks or so) has finally taken its toll.
2 or 3 jugs of wine in a 18-24 hour period... give or take. Gradually working your way up to losing count of the bottles of rum/vodka here and there.

When quitting immediately, the severity of the withdrawal symptoms are pure hell. Don't think "bad hangover"; think:
Hallucinations... waking blackouts... driving and forgetting what town I'm in... a bag of trash in the road for a split second looks like a bloody dead man with his brains splattered across the asphalt... small animals, which aren't there, dashing in front of me.. causing me to swerve.

Then you try to sleep... LOL. Your metabolism is so fried that you might as well be on speed.
You shake, you twitch, your pupils are dialated. You can't even operate a remote or cell phone because your fingers are not under your control.
Fear... followed by terror... followed by guilt... hate...
Let's not forget the cold sweats!

After about 15 hours of this... of rolling around in bed... your body is finally ready to sleep, but it's impossible with the sharp and uncontrollable twitching... your arm, leg, stomach. You'll be lucky to get a few minutes of sleep before you're woken up by a spasm in your sick muscles.

And those precious minutes of sleep are actually very real and vivid, long nightmares. . usually being attacked or chased by something skinless with rodent-teeth.

I eventually nodded off into a relatively peaceful dream; I was in a diner, where I asked for a mixed drink.
Before I could enjoy it, I noticed the walls of this place were covered in an even splash of green vomit and feces.
All the while, a movie on the television reveals a young boy hacking and gashing up the legs of his mother; she was screaming with laughter and delight.

I still haven't slept... it's been over 24rs of this... this is "sobriety"? LOL.

Oh one more thing... forget eating. Your body craves it but the nausea forces you to gag and spit before you can even fully swallow.

Cheers.
"

Worms and large, black insects... that's what I associate most with this godawful spell.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Timelord

It's horrendous. My first withdrawal I was rushed to hospital as my parents with whom I was staying with panicked after I collapsed. I was signed off work with a sicknote saying "alcohol excess". Soon after I was drinking again but in greater amounts. My last withdrawal which hopefully is my last one ever. I skipped the hospital, stayed in my room and just persevered. I didn't sleep for three nights, didn't eat for three days and felt like rubbish. I emerged on the 4th day more human. A vitamin B complex is essential. That was over two months ago and I haven't had a drop since. The longest time I have ever abstained by a long , long chalk.

Good luck mate.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Matt M

I had hallucinations and had three seizures in one day and spent two weeks in hospital.
Fractured my shoulder as a result and after three shoulder operations I now have a replacement shoulder.
Not a nice experience to say the least!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had DTs several times, thankfully it has been relatively mild: hearing voices, seeing shadow people, etc..My experience was that it went away after the first 72hrs of my detox(s).
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not fun at all..my doctor told my parents the first 24 hours were going to be full of anxiety attacks, flu like symptoms, and one pissed off sober monster. After sweating through five shirts and two pants in was taken to the hospital. They hooked me up with Nausea medication, two bags of IV solution, and some good old Xanax to take the shakes away. the bad withdrawals were about 72 hours for me
Old 08-30-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I had the DT’s several times, and with varying degrees of severity. I did not realize how potentially dangerous they were. One day I was doing some genealogy research. I found my great grandfathers death certificate. Cause of death: Delirium Tremens

If you are going to detox… do it right. Have a medical consultation about the process for your unique situation.