SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What should I do for the best? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/305416-what-should-i-do-best.html)

helc 08-26-2013 01:26 PM

What should I do for the best?

To cut a long story short, I am a strange alcoholic!

Strange in the sense that I can easily take or leave alcohol in a social situation. I don't get into dangerous situations (other than the immense health risks I am taking) When I am in company I sometimes drink less than others, my boyfriend sometimes gets mad if we are on a night out and I say I have had enough, am tired and hungry and ready for home. (He drinks once or twice a week)

For me, I like to drink alone. Watching tv, listening to music. That silly unexciting pleasure is what I am killing myself for.

I am 31 years old, and was a social drinker up until the age of about 18-22. Then myself and my room mates started to drink at home in the evenings. They had a job, so stopped after one bottle of wine. I didn't, and found the escapism a joy and drank more.

By 26 I had a bad break-up and the drinking alone in the evenings for escapism escalated. I had gone from either a 35cl bottle of vodka with diet coke a night OR four cans of strong cider to both.

Fast forward to now. I am very overweight as I eat badly and after drinking (every night) and am now having a bottle of 10% wine and a 20cl bottle of vodka and mixer (getting down from 35cl a day to 20cl made me so proud - how silly), almost every night. It feels like a bad habit more than anything. Strangely never anymore now as it will make me feel sick, in my 20's I would drink this amount before a night out.

However I feel iller than ever. I am suffering from severe anxiety which I am sure is in most part to the the booze. I have developed a huge fear of going to a doctor to the point it makes me nearly have a panic attack yet I know I probably have high blood pressure among other things.

So I want to stop. Badly.

I had been single for the best part of my adult life and I have met a guy and its getting serious. He is wonderful and I don't want to ruin things. If I am with him I am able to control my intake to a bottle of wine or less which he sees as perfectly normal in our society, I am able to do this easily 2 or three times a week, but I must admit I look forward to my sad little routine the day after of 8pm - sofa, tv, bottle of wine and 20cl.

I would love to stop without medical help but my suspected high blood pressure, anxiety and suspected other problems tell me this would probably be unsafe. But I don't know how im going to get myself to a doctors.

I guess, ironically, I might have to have a drink to calm my nerves to go (I have never drank before work, at work, rarely in the daytime at all unless its "social")

Could a taper work for me given my fairly heavy consumption for the past ten years?

What would a doctor do? I guess if im honest (and god I might aswell be here) I am petrified of being admitted to hospital or something and my family finding out.

Just looking for any advice and support :-) Thanks.

helc 08-26-2013 01:28 PM

Saying my boyfriend gets mad was the wrong way to phrase it! Disappointed I meant!

Sudz No More 08-26-2013 01:35 PM

Detox can be unpredictable, you never know how bad it could get. You should consult a doctor before trying anything. I did taper down from 15 beers a day to 6 over two weeks and then quit without any ill effects. I did have Xanax prescribed by my doctor if I needed it but I only used a few the first couple days and I don't think I needed any.

Like I said though, you just never know how bad it could be. At the very least, confide in a good friend to stay over the first night and watch you. The first sign of trouble go to the ER.

helc 08-26-2013 01:43 PM

Thanks, Your right that's good advice. I am just so guarded I don't feel I can confide. I would probably find even going to the doctors easier than that.

I should probably mention that rarely, say a few times a year, for work reasons I have had very little (1 or 2 drinks) or no alcohol at all and although I slept badly and mentally hated it I didn't feel any physical side effects going 48 hours with no alcohol....

longbeachone 08-26-2013 02:01 PM

I never drank in public in the later stages of my drinking life, because I couldn't drink the way that I wanted to. I always waited until I was home for the night to start drinking.

Boleo 08-26-2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by helc (Post 4143797)
Strange in the sense that I can easily take or leave alcohol in a social situation.

Does not seem strange to me. I could easily stop at 2 or 3 drinks when out somewhere. Why?

1. I did not want to risk another DUI
2. I could save 50% - 75% by buying booze from the liquor store.
3. If I did get pass-out drunk, I wanted to be close to my own bed and bath.

The bottom line was; I did not drink less because of all these rules. I ended up drinking more because of them. Also, I always thought about all that booze I was going to have at home while I was out trying to have a good time moderating. If I controlled my drinking I did not enjoy it. If I enjoyed my drinking, I could not control it.

helc 08-26-2013 02:28 PM

I appreciate that, but I need to say I have never passed out from drinking, blacked out, Had a DUI or any other legal consequence.

I am still an alcoholic and I am still killing myself, but I think its more I have a habit of how I want to drink and its alone and at home.

Boleo 08-26-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by helc (Post 4143939)
I appreciate that, but I need to say I have never passed out from drinking, blacked out, Had a DUI or any other legal consequence.

YET

Your'e
Eligible
To