Notices

Normal to be this thirsty??

Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Normal to be this thirsty??

I am on day 5 of being sober and plan to make this my first sober weekend in a long time. Doing pretty good, changing habits, etc.

But is it normal to be constantly drinking water? I mean, I kept track and I am at 2 gallon a day!! Is my body just trying to flush itself?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MTD

I also drank a lot of water. Constantly in my hand. I think its sociological to want to have something to do to replace the alcohol. At least its water and not something with sugar. Hang in there. I am almost at a month and really enjoying life for a change.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's normal to drink a lot of water after quiting.
Just curious,have you ever been checked for Type 2 diabetes?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I drank a ton of water when i drank and a ton after i quit. I really thought that i'd slow down on my water intake and that never really happened. I also went to the bathroom non stop because of the water. I still go a lot too I wondered if i was diabetic myself but I'm not. I dont really understand it But now fast forward I eat a lot of fruit. i mean A LOT of fruit and i dont drink nearly as much water. I still go to the bathroom a lot but not as often.

I guess for some of us we just need a lot of hydration.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too drank what seemed like gallons of water. I also thought I may be diabetic. I had many of the symptoms including blurry vision.

I went to the doctor, they did a blood test and it was normal. The blurry vision was because I needed glasses. I guess it took getting sober to realize how bad my eyes had gotten. I was not drinking and people were still blurry...lol I got glasses and I can see fine now.

It does get better. Just drink the water and pee. It ain't gonna hurt ya..lol
Old 08-23-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I had full blood-work done a few months ago and all was normal. It just seems like I cannot go 10 minutes without guzzling water!!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I too drank what seemed like gallons of water. I also thought I may be diabetic. I had many of the symptoms including blurry vision.

I went to the doctor, they did a blood test and it was normal. The blurry vision was because I needed glasses. I guess it took getting sober to realize how bad my eyes had gotten. I was not drinking and people were still blurry...lol I got glasses and I can see fine now.

It does get better. Just drink the water and pee. It ain't gonna hurt ya..lol
This is one of those cases, where punctuation matters.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

oh no double barrel probably wants to crucify me for my grammer and punctuation hahaa. And with a name like DoubleBarrel it probably wont be good dangit I forgot an apostrophie on won't

I did the same thing guzzeled water like crazy and peed non stop. Even now I probably get up to pee 20 times a night. I used to think it was all the beer. then I sobered up and the problem didnt go away. I dunno the answer. But at least water isnt bad for you.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh man, DoubleBarrel that was awesome. LOL.

To the OP: Don't worry. There's nothing wrong with hydrating your body, in fact it's healthy!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When we get sober we are both dehydrated and malnourished. No wonder we feel like crap.

I've got a book by someone who runs a rehab, and she said she would take before and after pictures for their 30-day patients, and the difference was remarkable.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I would be drinking water all day but for some reason night was the worst. I'd bring a few bottles of water and set them on the nightstand. I would wake up and down them like someone who finally found their way out of the desert.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank a lot of fluids when I first quit, and still do to a certain extent, though it dropped off somewhat. I had this weird relationship to drinking other things than alcohol. I felt like I only drank water to rehydrate myself after alcohol and part of me was surprised I still needed to drink the stuff after I got sober. I remember other people talking about how nice it was to be thirsty rather than dehydrated so I guess it makes sense.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LOL! Nice one Doublebarrel lol x

ps was referring to the 'punctuation' comment - just to save confusion x