Notices

Need to stop now

Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop now

Hi All,
Just found this site today and joined right away. I have been trying to stop drinking for a long time now and I am getting really frustrated. I can't go on living like this anymore. I just got done with a 3 day binge drinking excessive amounts of wine. Called in sick for the past 3 days and over the last couple of months I been calling in sick or taking last minute vacation alot. In the past I have been able to just stop for 4-6months after what I call a mini rock bottom but just haven't been able to do it this year.

Any advice from anyone on how I can stop on my own using this forum as support? Anything will help.

Thank you to anyone out there willing to listen.
Marleys
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marleys, glad you are here and welcome to the forum. You just really gotta dig deep and decide once and for all that alcohol is toxic to you and you can't drink it ever again.

Stay connected here, read and post. Don't let yourself forget how much you have come to hate alcohol. we're here and listening so keep writing, it really does help to feel part of a team trying to beat this addiction.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Marleys - it's great you found us. This is a wonderful place for support & friendship.

I drank my whole life & was really suffering when I joined SR. It helped me so much when I realized I wasn't the only one to go through this - the emotions I was feeling weren't anything unusual. It helped to know I was no longer alone. I finally found the courage to stop numbing myself and face life with eyes wide open. We know you can do it too. Glad you are here!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Marley, I was a daily wine drinker who would go through a 2 or 3 day binge once a month or so. I wanted so much to stop. I also had brief periods of sobriety, but would return to drinking when something upsetting would happen.

When I finally got sober 4 years ago, I left my family and lived in a sober living house for eight weeks (couldn't afford rehab). I finally was able to make the connection that drinking equaled bad feelings, bad things happening. The thought of a drink stopped sounding pleasant, instead it sounded awful, like drinking poison or something.

You will find your own way, but no one will tell you it's easy. It takes hard work, but the payoff is something you've probably been craving more than alcohol...peace.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend you join our Class of August thread Marleys
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-7.html

A lot of people find SR is enough for them, some find they need more - but the only way to find out is to try

welcome
D
Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Marleys!

Glad you've joined us! This place helped me turn my life around.... When I came here, I was terrified to get sober, but terrified to keep drinking, too. There's a lot of hope, support and information here for you - you can do this!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for welcoming me!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Yeah marleys keep coming around lots of good advice here and eventually it sticks. Its awesome to know your not alone and a lot of what your feeling others feel too or have been through. Lots of people here to explain to you no your not crazy you just have a drinking problem you gotta nip in the bud its no biggie one day at a time is all it takes.