Notices

Anti-Depressants in Sobriety

Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anti-Depressants in Sobriety

All,
It's been awhile since I've posted here. I'm still sober, 1.2.2011. Life has been wonderful sober; I'm still in the beginning of my journey of acting like an adult and trying my best to do the next right thing.

Before I begin, I want to apologize if this has been discussed in the past. However, I need some of your opinions and past experiences, regarding anti-depressants and recovery.

For about six months, I've experienced some anxiety problems. I've needlessly worried about made up health issues, and my relationships. I'm currently in a four year relationship, long distance, and it's been wonderful. My partner is an amazing woman and I love her to bits. However, the distance lately has led to some personal anxiety and I don't want my recent anxiety issues to affect her well being.

So, I finally had a discussion with my doctor last Friday, since I haven't been able to sleep well for the last few weeks. I've been on 20mg f Citalopram to help me sleep at night as well as deal with some of the anxiety issues. And man alive, I have slept alot. I just slept 10 hours last night, along with a nap yesterday. I've read this will soon pass after a couple of weeks. I'm hoping so. I try to lead a pretty active lifestyle. I run alot.

Okay, so have any of you had to use these types of medications while in sobriety? I know my sponsor has and another friend of mine in the rooms as well.

Thanks ahead of time.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm laughing with you on your "made up health issues" I have many horrible figment issues myself that give me great anxiety. My latest is a random what i think is a blood sugar drop i've been chasing this issue since i sobered up and even the doctors arent sure whats wrong. Tho my doc did say perhaps with my running i'm blowing out my sugar. But it still worries me.

Wish I had more advice to give you on the meds. I refused them myself and I run like you do it helps keep my sanity tho life is not perfect or peachy I doubt if it ever will be. I sometimes get upset that I have to run so much to keep my sanity but I do enjoy it too so whatever works.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." ― Mark Twain.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." ― Mark Twain.
I love that quote. I've read it so many times. It takes awhile for it to sink in though. I have a thick head.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

One thing to consider is that sometimes anti-depressants can actually increase anxiety. I have had that happen to me with a couple of them. If you feel this may be the case then it might be worth talking to your doctor and seeing what other options are available be that other medications and/or therapy of some sort. I have found that what works best for me is a combination of both therapy and medication intervention. My anxiety is related to PTSD. When we quit drinking we take away a defense mechanism that often has provided us with some sort of protection even if that has started to fail by the time we address our drinking it still can be overwhelming to deal with all of the emotional baggage that the defense mechanism held at bay once we stop drinking. For some this baggage is so deep that professional help is needed to clean it up. There is no shame in seeking outside help. That help does not even necessarily need to be long term it would just depend on your situation.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
One thing to consider is that sometimes anti-depressants can actually increase anxiety. I have had that happen to me with a couple of them. If you feel this may be the case then it might be worth talking to your doctor and seeing what other options are available be that other medications and/or therapy of some sort. I have found that what works best for me is a combination of both therapy and medication intervention. My anxiety is related to PTSD. When we quit drinking we take away a defense mechanism that often has provided us with some sort of protection even if that has started to fail by the time we address our drinking it still can be overwhelming to deal with all of the emotional baggage that the defense mechanism held at bay once we stop drinking. For some this baggage is so deep that professional help is needed to clean it up. There is no shame in seeking outside help. That help does not even necessarily need to be long term it would just depend on your situation.
I've been seeing outside help as well, on a monthly basis with my doctor and a therapist. Most of my problems are anxiety. The doctor claimed this drug was used alot for alcoholics and anxiety. It will be seven days this Friday.

I'm still anxious but I kinda feel like I'm turning a corner. I have absolutely no reason to feel anxious really. My girl and I seem to be doing well. I have a good job. Everything looks great. I just tend to blow things out of proportion in my head is all.

I'm really hoping this eventually helps.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there

I am a long term user of Citalopram. It will defo increase your anxiety to begin with, but stick with it. After 4 weeks you should see a big improvement.

Hugs
Jackie x
Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Everything looks great. I just tend to blow things out of proportion in my head is all.
Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. When your anxious about something the reality is you either A can solve the problem so why worry, or B you cant solve the problem so why worry? I mean if there is nothing you can do about it let it go as hard as it can be worrying about it and being anxious isnt exactly fixing anything is it?

The only gray area is C you can fix the problem but perhaps you have to wait IE roof leak you can fix it but you wont have the money for 4 days till then its going to drip on your head and worry you.

All this is easier said then done but sometimes throwing your hands in the air and letting go is the best way. You gotta wash your hands of problems sometimes if you cant resolve it its out of your hands let it go move on.

I know its hard to do but just have to keep practicing. I listened to a preacher once and his point on this was that yes it can seem irresponable but its actually reasonable. You cannot control everything but you can reasonably handle certain things just work on those things let the rest go.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

SoberCouch, if anti-depressants can help you with illogical anxiety, then give yourself a break as long as you have confidence in your doctor.
I've taken them for years and although they don't 'cure' depression they take the edge off anxiety, and have given me much better quality of life. Alcohol/sobriety was neither here nor there when it came to how they affected me.
Just my experience. We beat ourselves up about so much.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been using citalopram for a few years. My psychiatrist also prescribed a 30-day course of sulpiride to help with the anxiety while the brain adjusted to the citalopram. I really believe that the AD has made a huge difference to my life and I would be quite worried about stopping them.
It's interesting that you find they make you sleepy - I never did, I have always taken them first thing in the morning.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have taken them , they wont hurt .

Non addactive for the most part