Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Some interesting statistics on alcohol consumption in the US

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I have been running across various statistics on alcohol consumption in the uS lately. I finally decided to look into it some and found some interesting results. From the NIAAA:

How frequently did American adults (ages 18 and over) drink in the past year?
Percentage who drank: Women Men
Daily 2.45% 5.78%
Less than once a week 77.02% 58.45%
Less than once a month 61.56% 42.18%
Never in the past year 39.13% 28.09%

How many drinks did drinkers usually consume on a drinking day?
2 drinks or less 78.10% 57.70%

I am amazed at how little most people drink.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Or how little people SAY they drink.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will never forget the first time a doctor asked me how much I drank. I was in my early 20s, she asked in a week. I was like I donno, fifty, sixty?

I was lowballing, and of course her mouth about hit the floor. LOL.

One thing I have really noticed, even in my own family, when theres a party now, theres beer and wine left over, which my wife kindly gets rid of.

I used to load up, and buy TONS and drink it all. I thought everyone else did too, but apparently it was mostly me.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep. And it always blows my mind to think that under 10% are "problem drinkers" yet that small minority account for over half the alcohol sales in this country.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wonder how they get these statistics though. I was never asked to take a poll and if I was I would probably lie on it because I wouldnt trust the pollster to look at my answers.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The state I live in--Wisconsin--leads the nation in alcoholism with 25% of all adults being heavy drinkers.

I was surprised to see that only 2% of women drink daily. I fell into that category.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I am amazed at how little most people drink.
I am amazed at how often I lied about my drinking.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I learned early to never tell the Doc how much I drank.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I finally told my doc the extent of the damage I was doing. Truthfully. And then I quit drinking. The two events went together.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to wonder about polls too...
only because if I had been asked -I am ashamed to say- I absolutely would have lied.... : (
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's funny. I posted this thinking people find it interesting in how many people drink very lightly, but I've learned something:

1. If you post statistics, then everyone thinks they are wrong and the world is filled with lying alcoholics;
2. If you post asking how to decline a drink offers, then everyone thinks the world is filled with teetotalers and light drinkers who don't care whether you drink or not.

While I have no doubt that alcoholics lie about their drinking, I doubt they would have lied with low enough numbers to affect this poll - two drinks or fewer less than once a week? I doubt the average alcoholic could conceive of numbers that low.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is just more evidence that I am not normal...lol
Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its hard to take that it suggests we are the problem and not alcohol!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wheres the more than once a week option? The difference between labeling yourself a daily drinker and a less than once a week drinker is huge. Not many who drink more than once a week would be prepared to label themselves a daily drinker because that is a big stigma. Id hazard a guess that's why the majority went for less than once a week.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dancook I think it's probably just made with those options because perhaps it's a statistic for someone/something with an agenda to promote drinking/liquor sales. It keeps people ignorant about our wet society. It's similar to studies saying wine is good for the heart. Eat a grape it has the same chemical without ethanol. That study I've seen advertised and hear sometimes people saying is a a perfect example of studies put out by someone or something with an invested interest in getting people to drink as much as possible. Anyways I think maybe this one fits into that category.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovered

We learned in med school to double whatever the patient told us they drank.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancook99 View Post
Wheres the more than once a week option? The difference between labeling yourself a daily drinker and a less than once a week drinker is huge. Not many who drink more than once a week would be prepared to label themselves a daily drinker because that is a big stigma. Id hazard a guess that's why the majority went for less than once a week.
Dan, the full table is here. I only pulled out the less than once a week numbers because it seemed so little, yet made up such a large percentage of the total.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So about 20% of men are drinking 3-4 times a week or more and 40%+ drink 3 or more drinks at a time and 40%+ have gone on a binge at least once within the last year. That's still quite a chunk drinking too much and too often and that's only what they are prepared to admit!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

40% of US men haven't drank alcohol in the past year!?? So pretty much 40% don't drink at all, wow. I can honestly say that I don't know any man who hasn't drank in a year (besides recovering alcoholics) so this figure kinda shocked me.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know a lot of men who don't drink . And a lot of women. And not just because they're recovering alcoholics. I only drink at major holidays ,and sometimes not even then. Many of the people I work with don't drink and we have lots of neighbors who don't. I personally think that alcoholics (recovering or not) believe that most people drink more than they really do. They're used to socializing with drinkers and they seem to be more aware of drinking and alcohol in restaurants, parties, etc. My son is recovering and recently we ate in a Mexican restaurant in town. We looked around at the folks eating dinner and the majority weren't drinking margaritas or beer. They had soda or tea. My colleagues and I never talk about having a drink when we go out to dinner unless it's at the Christmas celebration. Even then, many of them don't order alcohol. The media also perpetuates the big lie that you can't have a good time without alcohol, and advertising for it is everywhere.