Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Why do we have to make things more complicated then they are?

Notices

Why do we have to make things more complicated then they are?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Recovery circles make up these theories on alcoholism. The alcoholic personality, the Alcoholic Voice, the roles of an alcoholic family, things we

NEED to do if we are an alcoholic and so on. Why can't there be one recovery method that just sticks to hard science and thats it? Is that alcoholic

voice nothing other then our own thoughts and wants? Why does it have to be some separate entity that we didn't create? The enabler is always dragged

into the situation. There is no enabler because you have total control over your own drinking. Every alcoholic can find a so-called enabler by the

definition created for it. Your employer is an enabler. All we have to do is stop drinking. Does bringing in all these made up tools really help people get sober? Shouldn't we keep things factual and simple?
I've had these same thoughts. Really, all we have to do is stop drinking. And stay stopped.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=caboblanco;4131402]Recovery circles make up these theories on alcoholism. The alcoholic personality, the Alcoholic Voice, the roles of an alcoholic family, things we

NEED to do if we are an alcoholic and so on. Why can't there be one recovery method that just sticks to hard science and thats it? Is that alcoholic

voice nothing other then our own thoughts and wants? Why does it have to be some separate entity that we didn't create? The enabler is always dragged

into the situation. There is no enabler because you have total control over your own drinking. Every alcoholic can find a so-called enabler by the

definition created for it. Your employer is an enabler. All we have to do is stop drinking. Does bringing in all these made up tools really help people get sober? Shouldn't we keep things factual and simple?[/QUOTE]

ah Cabo, all you had to do is stop drinking!
and since you and i and all of us had and have total control over our own drinking , how and why on earth did we end up here?

if i'd had total control, i'd not be here writing to you now.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Does bringing in all these made up tools really help people get sober?
In my experience, yes. Absolutely.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

You are right in the fact that all we have to do is stop drinking. The other part is to stay of the mind that we don't drink, and that is where the trouble is. A lot of these tools may be merely "tricks" to keep our thinking right about sobriety, but that's fine. Humans have been shown time and time again to be irrational and illogical in many ways. If I find the right set of tricks that keeps me sober, then I am going to keep using them.

Many of these "tricks" are well founded in science and have plenty of evidence to support their effectiveness.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

If science could provide the answer, it would invent a cure for alcoholism, like a pill. Hasn't been done yet. They do have a pill that will reduce the effects if alcohol when you do drink, but it won't turn an alcoholic into a non-alcoholic.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I agree with you cabo. I choose not to "personify" my addiction, because honestly I find it kind of childish. It would be like saying "I'd better not be naughty today, because Santa's watching". It's BS...but that's just me!

If it works for others, then who cares? I don't get into the whole Beast thing, but I still read it. Just for the knowledge. I always enjoy seeing what works for others, and it gives me more tools in my tool box in case my current method of recovery stew stops working. Who knows, maybe someday I'll start churning out the AV talk and start doing the 12 steps? There's nothing wrong with being skeptical and critical - then again everyone's recovery is their own. If it works, then do it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
They do have a pill that will reduce the effects if alcohol when you do drink, but it won't turn an alcoholic into a non-alcoholic.
If modern medicine ever did come up with a pill that allowed an alcoholic like me to drink like "normal" - the first thing my alcoholic brain would want to do with it would be to see how "normal" I could get.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All we have to do is stop drinking.
You are correct. That is all I have to do...but all of the reasons I drank are still there. They do not go away because I set down my glass. My mind is still going to spin. My resentments will still eat at me. Small everyday issues to others are major "I need a drink" issues for me.

If I don't clear away the wreckage of my past and develop the tools to live like a normal person then I will pick that glass back up.

The goal of recovery and living sober is not to just stop drinking, it is to remain that way.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This makes me think of those anti hangover pills they sell on the counter at some beer stores. I used to seriously consider them--"Hmmm, try the pills or spend the money on beer?" Needless to say I never tried the pills but I heard they were developed for secret agents to negate the effects of excessive drinking. Science!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I envy the people who "all they have to do is stop drinking" to fix their lives. Boy, I wish. Did that...saved me some money but didn't fix much of anything.

took out the booze and drugs, but there was still the same old me. Would have been nice if detox was all I needed to do.