Notices

Just bought a workbook.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Just bought a workbook.

Has anyone used an addictions workbook? How as it helped you? Just ordered mine.

TKS!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I go to a program called Celebrate Recovery, which is a Christian 12 Step program. It's run somewhat differently though. In addition to our regular Friday night meeting (I'm going to describe further down) I went through a step study class for eight months with 7 other women, and we used workbooks. The workbooks helped us explore and write about each of the steps as we worked them. We had a group leader, who helped and facilitated each meeting. When we "graduated" it was so amazing, because the other step study groups that also finished graduated too. It was like a big school graduation, with music and family and food.

I hope you don't mind if I write about Celebrate Recovery...I just wanted to describe how great it is...
Celebrate Recovery is a program created by Pastor Rick Warren (he wrote "The Purpose Driven Life), and it also uses the steps from Alcoholics Anonymous. Additionally, each of the steps has a scripture attached. CR meets once a week (at my church it's Friday night). Anyone struggling with a problem (hang up, hurt or habit) is welcome. The meeting begins with everyone together listening and singing along to a great Christian band for half an hour. Then we alternate between working together on a lesson from th CR workbook, or hearing a testimony. This lasts for an hour. After that, we break up into small groups men's and women's, not co-ed) specific to our problems, and these include for women substance abuse, food issues, adult children of alcoholics and victims of incest/molestation. A co-dependency group was recently added. Men's section also has these groups plus an anger control section.

After an hour long meeting, we come together for food and fun conversation. The evening lasts around three hours, and its such a great way to spend your Friday night! I think CD is a valuable recovery tool, especially paired with daily AA meetings. Find one near you and check it out!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
Has anyone used an addictions workbook?
Study Guide
Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I bought a book that has to do with self discovery and empowerment to work through my addictive behaviors. I am looking forward to looking at this in a more structured way.

Can't hurt!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Has anyone used an addictions workbook? How as it helped you? Just ordered mine.

TKS!
What is the name of the workbook you ordered? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use a book called Creative Recovery by Eric Maisel. It's got sort of a workbook feel to it. Great book.

What is yours called?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

In AA I just follow the big book format, in Al Anon I have used Blueprint for progress which I really like.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TKS!

i bought "Recovery by Choice", by Martin Nicholas, fo8under of LifeRing Secular Recovery.
it helped me by the oodles of self-exploratory questions, introduction of topics i would not have thought of by myself, helped me by having questions that actually made me question my beliefs, my preconceived notions about addiction, recovery, my values.

it made me have good conversations with myself
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm using A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps by Stephanie Covington. I really like it as a companion to the Big Book and to the 12x12.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unhappy

My book is based on AVERT - Rational recovery. It should be here tomorrow.

I am why my family has issues it does. I need to do some private self exploration that is more structured. So Im going this route.

I have a ton of shame. I've found that in the evening my mood changes drastically. Even before a drink is taken. I did well for about a year without drinking for a while but since going on a family vacation this summer I've been out of control.

To add to all this I tried to kill myself in January of this year and ended up in a Psych hospital. At that point I was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder. It's been nuts!!!

Today I realize I can't drink. Fully and completely understand this. Now what? That's my question hanging over my head. So much damage to deal with. It's like a horrible storm is over and I'm looking at this disaster around me. Where is FEMA????

Ugh!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel for you 1undone. Are you seeing a doctor and treating your bipolar right now? imho it's a very good idea to check out a few methods of recovery to see what's best for you. Different methods offer different tools. For me it's the tools of AA that have helped me become sane. For you it may be different. I think asking for suggestions here was a great idea. Take good care of yourself
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I use the NA step working guide and it's been a HUGE help.