Notices

drunk as heck

Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Not sure if you're still coming back to post, but here's my take for when you do:

You have to do a few things.

1) Stop. You have to stop drinking and get used to dealing with everything--good and bad--sober. You have to deal with jubilation and disappointment without alcohol to stimulate or numb.

2) Re-orient your social life and stick with people you feel comfortable with. Even if they drink, you need people to whom you can stay no and they won't bring it up again.

3) Don't think about this as a forever thing. I'm also in my late twenties and I sometimes wonder about whether I can do this for another 50 years. That's not productive. Your goal should be to get used to not drinking on an everyday basis and let your sense of routine take over. You should eventually stop focusing so much on ingesting poison.

As for things to take your mind off drinking, I suspect that nothing will entirely distract you from drinking if you can't forget about it unassisted. Just do things that you like to do and have fun doing it. You don't need booze to have fun, after all.

Good luck
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A secret bonus of quitting is that many of the tools that you need will improve the quality of life in ways far beyond just quitting drinking, especially once you start getting past the first 90 days or so.

Taking life one day at a time has really made me a more "mindful" person.

Living in the moment has definitely made me a better dad.

Learning to work through the horrible mental noise of craving has improved my overall focus, especially now that I don't get cravings anymore (it happens, believe me!).

Alcohol is poison and when you drink it you feel bad. When you quit, the times that you felt really bad you feel good. You look good. Learn to take a compliment gracefully.

I hope that you decide to give quitting a try. Trying to cut down always made me drink more. Quitting was horrible but it got better. Drinking just got worse.