Notices

Does it get better?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it get better?

Since I started drinking heavily, my anxiety (when sober) is through the roof. I can't go out to dinner with my family unless I've had a few, I can't even go to my daughter's school orientation unless I've downed a couple of wine minis on the way just to bear the crowd. My question is this...once the drinking stops, does the anxiety stop? This seems like a no-brainer, but I'm just curious.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that will be different for any one.

For me, the anxiety was like it was never there when I stopped drinking. Maybe you should give it a try?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sure, but not right away. Hope you will give some thought to quitting.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's the awful paradox of alcoholism, unfortunately. We drink initially to help calm our nerves and make us more relaxed and, in the end, it is the cause of more distress than we likely ever had in the first place.

Yes, I was the same. For days after heavy drinking I was a nervous wreck. Even getting in a car and driving down the road was cause for me to panic. It eventually became quite debilitating. I also had mini bottles of wine stashed everywhere (in the house, car, clothing, etc.) and would throw back a few to get me "settled." And thus start off the cycle again.

Happily, for me at least, the anxiety attacks were one of the first things to go when I quit drinking. It took about two weeks between the booze fully leaving my system and dealing with general feeling crappy from quitting but they did go away. Completely. I have been nervous and anxious a few times since I have quit (six months ago) but I have not once had one of those awful anxiety attacks that I did when drinking. Not once.

They'll go away. Just don't feed the cycle anymore.

And congrats on thinking of kicking the drink. It is so very worth it

Last edited by Ptcapote; 08-15-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I've recently been prescribed an anti depressant (to counter the depressant factor of the alcohol maybe?), and klonopin just to calm my nerves during the daytime hours. The anxiety is unbearable. I walked into a Rite Aid the other night and I was shaking terribly, about to walk out on the cashier who was ringing up my items because it felt like he was taking an eternity to do so.

Do I just quit, cold turkey? Taper? I drink about a bottle and a half of wine a night, and a couple of pulls of whiskey on top of that. Any excuse I can make to get out of the house, I go and buy alcohol. I just want to be done with this. I'm 32 and have been drinking like I'm in college since I was in college.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i think for me it dropped alot, i did not dwell on things as much as i would when i was drunk.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

LouLa, it has taken me a long time to get better and if it is important for you to have dinner out with your family, then just do it and tough it out. Make it through that first time and you will be stroner than ever, but do not underestimate how poerful addiction to booze is. Rootin for ya.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope that you are able to have an honest conversation with a good Doc about what you are doing. I believe that psychoactive drugs and alcohol/quitting alcohol is tricky business.

Quitting drinking made the anxiety go away for me. I almost always sleep all the way through the night now.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome LouLa!

Yes, the anxiety is awful.... Once I started drinking a bottle of wine most every night, I went from having hangovers to what I now know were withdrawal symptoms:

Feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
Feeling of shakiness
Anxiety
Irritability or easily excited
Emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
Depression
Fatigue
Difficulty with thinking clearly
Tremor of the hands
Bad dreams
Headache
Sweating
Rapid heart rate
I hated waking up dreading the day and feeling so bad. Thinking about getting sober, though, was terrifying. Now, I'm so grateful I found this place and put that life behind me. You can do this, too. The best thing would be to talk to your doctor and be honest about your drinking so that he/she can advise you on detoxing. Tapering doesn't work well for us (if we could control it, we wouldn't be here, you know?)

Keep reading and posting - it really helps! Glad you're here!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was much younger I worked as a bartender in a restaurant. The bar was in a room next to the dining room, on the way to the bathroom. People used to stop on the way to/from the bathroom to knock back a double of something (usually vodka) on the way back to meet their fellow diners. Both men and women, usually 30-50ish. It happened all the time.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Were you anxious before you started drinking in earnest LouLa - I think that's important to consider?

I was, but my anxiety's never been better than it is now, after not drinking and some counselling

D
Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Loula, I totally understand your anxiety and needing that drink to get through the day. I couldn't work a full shift unless I was sipping vodka during the day. Thankfully my job did not involve saving people's lives. But I am facing holding a 40th birthday party tomorrow at my house with my in-laws that hate me, being the guests. These are the same people that I cannot relate to unless I have a few in me. I'm scared and stressed out beyond belief and I'm 5 days sober right now. The temptation to get some vodka is overwhelming, but I have to get past this hurdle. Yes, it is going to be very tough, but it can be done. I know it. The anxiety will alleviate after about 3 days of being clean. At least it was in my case. I also have depression and am on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications as well. Also to answer another question you had. Moderation will not work, trust me, I've tried. Cold turkey is the only way. Nothing worth having is ever easy.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did not have major anxiety issues but I could tell they were getting worse as time went on. I was scared to drive in the dark or the rain. I would white knuckle the steering wheel the entire time while I chain smoked. Some days I was terrified I would not make it to work. I just wanted to turn around and go home. I would cry until I pulled into the parking lot.

I am almost 5 months sober and that anxiety is completely gone. I also had it driving in the snow but I will have to wait until winter to see how that goes.

I also was afraid to go anywhere new. I was terrified to drive to a new place. I would Google street map my way there and back 20 times and I was still afraid the minute I headed out. I still have this but it is not as bad. I think I am more anxious about getting lost then actually driving now but it has eased up as well.

I think everyone is different though. I agree with others that an honest talk with your doctor is in order before you do anything.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The drinking /anxeity cycle is what i could not take .

In the big book ,they called it jitters ,in the 1930-40"s
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lots of people drink heavily when they have social anxiety , not saying you have , but perhaps a visit to your GP.
Might kill two birds with one stone.
As far as the alcohol anxiety goes then yes it goes .
Good luck life will be so much better you just have to stick with the not picking up.
John.