Notices

Now im fighting with SWEETS ........

Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I never even cared for sweet stuff until I quit. I could take it leave it but when I quit the craving for chocolate and ice cream went through the roof. Also popcorn, not sure what that was about.

Around four months the craving pretty much ended but I still really like it. The old take it or leave it is gone. I will take it..lol but it is much better. Now I can grab two miniature chocolates at work and be happy as before it was two whole candy bars. I will eat a Klondike bar at home after dinner two or three times a week instead of a full fledged sundae every night. It is better, but still there.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
TKS

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Mary Foushi, a co-founder of ACORN and a recovered food addict, offers, “Alcoholism is simply another form of sugar and grain: it is just being drank as opposed to eaten.
Sorry but I need let you know that this statement is highly misleading, if not outright incorrect. There is very little sugar in alcohol after the fermentation process is completed, as it is converted to ethanol. It's a myth to suggest that eating sweets is a substitute for the large intake of sugars. The only caveat to this fact is if you mix drinks with cola or other high sugar mixer, then obviously you are intaking a lot of saccharides while drinking. There is no grain in alcohol... simply a byproduct of the grain, one small part of the cereal, which ceases to exist once the yeast eats the sugars anyway.

As for grain, I'm at a loss to see why this woman mentions it. Firstly, grain is one of the key cereal staples for both humans & the cattle we eat. Barley, for example contains less than 1/5th the amount of sugar thank regular milk (until it's been malted - which is only really done for the brewing, distilling, baking & confectionery industry). Otherwise, I see no valid reason for this woman to make negative statements about grain.

Any post recovery intake cannot is likely more for comfort eating rather than a sugar addiction borne from drinking.

People shouldn't beat themselves up about replacing one high sugar addiction with another because it simply isnt true. (again, unless you also drank a lot of coke)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ive been pigging out on maltesers ... Two 140 gram packs a day ! .mannnnnnn ........ :-/
Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I gave in yesterday afternoon. Back to day 1

I rarely ate sweets either before I quit drinking. At least I remember what I did after 3 candy bars....

Fred
Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After almost a month sober, I still have HUGE sugar cravings and indulge horribly. My weakness is Reeses peanut butter cups and oreo cookies dipped in milk. They are like potato chips..I can't have just one! I go on a wild candy and cookies eating rampage late at night and then feel horribly guilty the next day. I am scared to death of getting diabetes, and so I have been trying to temper the cravings with pure raw honey---which helps stave the cravings for awhile and is actually very good for you (tons of vitamins and probiotics).
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just recently I've started substituting my ice-cream with fruits. Pretty happy with this. Now, if I want ice-cream I'll buy the small pints or just go out for a single serving. I'm at 4.5 months sober.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Haha I'm with you there man! Quitting alcohol and cigarettes makes your appetite soar!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I've been trying to substitute chocolate with fruit - had 7 apples and 6 satsumas yesterday plus 2 packets of tropical fruit. I'm sure I'll pay the price soon!

But ditching the alcohol is well worth it!
Old 08-25-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
ME TOO...its almost like they just invented ice cream.
and i could sit and eat the whole tub.

dont even get me started on cake.
I've been laughing at this for two minutes and still can't stop!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
oreo cookies dipped in milk
The closest that I've come to murder is holding an oreo under the milk until the bubbles stop.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When the pain of eating junk outweighed anything else I started getting serious.

The difference is that I can still have junk occasionally now but I still live by the saying that strong abs start in the kitchen and I work hard at eating clean.

I just do my best every day and get lots of activity. This too shall pass.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
zjw

i agree with the one poster sugar addiction is actually a real addiction. not so much the sugar per say but the simple carbs bad stuff (junk food basicly) we as a society cant get enough of it. There is somthing about it that keeps you coming back for more. You can actually break this addiction as well using similier concepts learned from kicking the alcohol addiction same can be said for cigarettes or coffee etc..

I got lucky on the sugar never was a bit thing for me I never cared much for pastas etc.. I did a low carb diet for a while and felt pretty good lost a lot of weight. But I eat a lot of fruit now for my sugar. I simply do not eat bread or junk or anything. I eat that stuff about as often as i drink which is never.

Stopping it for me wasnt too terrible again I think I got lucky. But I quit cigarrettes and coffee both of those where pretty tough.

Try reaching for fruit. and seriously go for it it wont make you fat if it did i'd be a house. I eat 60-80lbs of bananas alone each week and i'm a healthy weight.

Point is if 1 peice of fruit doesnt cut it have another pig out if thats your fancy its the best form of sugar you can get!

Yeah I know its not chocolate but a little secret get some unsweetened hershey cocoa and mix that in with some bananas and dates in a blender and ice etc.. You'll be in heaven if you like sugar. Add more dates if you want it even sweeter!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I've got a serious ice cream habit. I pretty much had to quit altogether, because,it was actually causing me to,have weird blood sugar issues problems sleeping, and anxiety.
Now I allow myself a,little occasionally, but I notice if I eat too much sugar.

I'm sure as alcoholics were wired to take sugar a certain way.
I drink two cups of coffee in the morning and eat a cup of chocolate ice cream at night. I feel "drunk" sometimes. I'm convinced the caffeine and sugar are affecting my brain.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

firstourselves.org is a great resource for sugar addiction