Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Pregnant while significant other continues to drink

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all! It has been a while since I posted anything on the board. Hope all are well.
I am 6 1/2 months into my pregnancy. I can now feel her wiggles and kicks every day which puts a smile on my face no matter the prior mood Seeing her on the ultrasound made my year!
Problem: My significant other continues to drink even though he promised he would not. It has been going on and off for the whole pregnancy. I have stuck it out and waited. As a lot of us know, these things change when the person who has the power to change them will. I am fully aware that I have no control over his alcoholism.
His drinking puts a distance between us. For instance, when he came home buzzed last night, I told him that I was going to stay at mom's house. He just said that the house was all mine, and left! He stayed out all night.
I am worried that he'll be buzzed or even DRUNK when the baby's due date arrives. What would a mother do then? And THEN... once the baby arrives!! It's hard to think that I wouldn't even trust my S.O. with our child.

There's more, but it's sort of irrelevant to his drinking so I'll spare ya. It does have to do with lies, (BIG LIES) in our past. We have tried to work on those, and the feelings that they created, but really it's just time that has went by.
Any suggestions, or words for peace of mind? Anything you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

if

Originally Posted by Linz View Post
I am worried that he'll be buzzed or even DRUNK when the baby's due date arrives. What would a mother do then?
I feel your pain and worried thoughts
I was drunk when my son was born
seemed like the condition to be in for a drunk such as myself
as I look back I was so wrong

a precious moment booze can take away
or spoil

if the two of you are believers
free Christian counseling offered at most churches can be of help
if
both want to make it work

or
maybe counseling just for yourself at this time ?

Mountainman
Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

No advice. Just glad to see your post and know you and the baby are okay.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on the baby Linz! It is good to hear from you. I honestly don't know what to tell ya tho, that is a difficult situation to be in, I am sure. I would just be pleading with him right now. "If you cannot be sober for me now, at the VERY LEAST, be sober when our baby comes." I don't know lady, good luck. Much love, hugs and prayers to you and your baby!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Linz - and congratulations on your news.
The best advice I can give you is always do whats best for you and the baby.

D
Old 08-16-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2 lives in 1

I was drinking throughout my girlfriends entire pregnancy and the first six months of my sons life. I promised my girlfriend over and over that I was going to stop. Eventually I realized that I wanted to be a good father more than I wanted to drink and drug. I hated myself and refused to get sober for myself, but the love I have for my son was enough to get me back into AA. Eventually I wanted to be sober for myself as well. What I'm trying to get at is that your significant other may see things differently once the child is born. I know my son was a huge motivator for me to turn my life around.