Notices

Trying once again

Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying once again

I have been a member of this forum for over a year now but haven't posted in quite a while. I come here almost everyday to read about peoples struggles and triumphs. Been trying to quit drinking but continually relapse. The best I have done is 2 months at the beginning of the year and 2 months a couple of years ago. I tend to compare my drinking to others on the forum and think I'm not that bad. But the truth is, even though I haven't suffered any serious consequences yet, I need to stop. The hangovers are brutal sometimes and the lack of motivation to do anything that would be beneficial to my well being is not good. I will try to make better use of this forum and post often instead of just reading. Lord knows I can use the support. Last night I drank bourbon and beer and today I dumped the rest of the bourbon and there isn't any beer left. Thanks for reading, today is day 1.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dave

I can really identify with thinking 'I'm not that bad'...but the crazy thing is...instead of stopping before we get 'that bad', we actually risk getting a little worse....

The bald facts were I was not as bad as some and worse than others...but my drinking was killing me.

sounds like you might be in the same place Dave?

D
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Davestwincam - I'm glad you've been reading & that you want to start posting more. Once I started doing that it really helped. You're right - you see trouble in the future, and now is a great time to take control. For me, that meant quitting all together - I could never trust myself once it was in my system. We're happy you're with us.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been drinking since my late teens and I am now 51. I think I fall somewhere between moderate and heavy drinker. All I know is that regularly drinking for that long has caught up with me physically and mentally. I'm just tired of trying to handle it. I can't anymore.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best of luck Dave. You can do it this time!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, sounds like you're losing your talent for the drink. That moment when one day, irrespective of how much you actually consume, you know that physically and emotionally you are just unable to process the stuff anymore.

Something changes inside us, and the more readily we honour and embrace that change, the more able we are to open ourselves to the new experiences of a life lived without alcohol. It certainly helps me, however hard it gets and however many rememberances of the old drinking life assail my senses, to hold this new knowledge of myself close.

Realising that you cannot go on living with alcohol the way you are is potentially the beginning of a new way of being. Welcome the solace of that realisation. Onwards!

All best wishes to you
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Sir Topaz, very well put.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to compare myself to others quite a bit. I never lost a job, house, wife etc. Never was locked up (for long), never lived on the streets, never even got a DUI. Fortunately for me I was taught early on that none of that stuff is alcoholism. That's all external stuff. Im an alcoholic because I have an abnormal relationship with alcohol. Its an internal problem with an internal solution.
Glad you're looking for help. Best wishes to you.