Notices

Ironing without drinking

Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I used to sit on a tractor for hours drinking beer. Now it seems a lot more boring.
That was sure difficult in the begenning. , I used to drink on the tractors too .
Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Drinking beer in the shower ?

Yep me too , best way to hide it , until wife finds the empty cans );
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yard work was one of my go to excuses for beer drinking!!! A day in the yard was good for a case or so!!! I'd mow whether it needed it or not... My yard doesn't look nearly as good now as it used to... LOL
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I saw on an interview once that Billy Carter, deceased brother to the 39th President of USA, would tell time in the number of beers it took to do something. EX...it takes 5 beers to drive to Atlanta...3 beers to wash my car.

That dude was crazy...guess he lost the fight...rip, Billy.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
I saw on an interview once that Billy Carter, deceased brother to the 39th President of USA, would tell time in the number of beers it took to do something. EX...it takes 5 beers to drive to Atlanta...3 beers to wash my car.

That dude was crazy...guess he lost the fight...rip, Billy.
LOL I forgot about that.

You can tell how far someplace is in number of road sodas.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I used to sit on a tractor for hours drinking beer. Now it seems a lot more boring.

I used to say mine would not start without a 12 pack in the floor -no cooler needed ,drink them before they got hot .
Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

My bathtub does not look so great since I quit drinking. For some reason, I would scrub my tub over and over until it was so shiny..
Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Okay. I have been told I am a little different or not on the normal side and I think I am starting to believe it.

First I do not Iron, ever.

Cooking takes me half the time now. I am not "resting" (drinking) in between trips to the kitchen to chop this or stir that. Now I just cook.

My outside work, what little there is to do, gets done. In the past I just looked out at the patio and decided tomorrow sounded better, all the time and every weekend. I did notice the first couple times I got tired quite fast. I did not have the booze to drive me but that pasted and now I have more energy and stamina to get things done.

I never did laundry at night. I never saw 10pm. Now I do it during the day after work and it gets washed, dried, folded and put away in one fail swoop. Before I washed on a Saturday and my one load seemed like an all day event and 90% of the time it never got put away.

I never cleaned while I was drinking or it was very little. Like the outside work it was always left until tomorrow or I needed to "rest" so much that only a 1/4 of it got done. Now I just clean and get it done. I was not a cleaning wizard before and I am not now. I clean but I am not in the grooves with a toothbrush either.

I used to drink, crochet and watch TV the entire weekend. Now Sunday is the only day I do this minus the drink but I actually get more done on a project then I ever did before. Like with cooking/cleaning I took many breaks to "rest".

Shopping is not such a big deal anymore either. I just go to the store, buy the stuff, go home and put it away. I used to go very early to avoid people/crowds and so I could get it over with so I could drink. Now I go whenever I wish. There is no set time anymore. I go when I need to go.

I don't drink beer but I have been married and dated men that took their beer into the shower. I never looked at as an alcoholic thing maybe because I never took a drink to the shower...lol

All time that I spent not at work or sleeping I spent drinking. ALL of it! I feel I have so much time on my hands these days. I do 100% more and I still have time. I am no longer chained to the bottle.

It is not like I never procrastinate. I do, but I live one day at a time so if I am lazy one day I try not to let it spill over to the next day. Same with eating bad. If I eat crappy junk food or fast food one day I don't let it be an excuse to do to it the next day. I don't let my yesterday define today.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I like that "I don't let my yesterday define today."
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Ladybug, sounds a lot safer. Good job.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Cooking and drinking was a whole thing for me. I fancy myself a good cook, and the whole drink, chop, drink, dice, drink, stir, drink process could take hours..by which time I usually wasnt hungry anymore. Now in whopping day 3 of sobrity I was making some (in my mind) gourmet **** and I reached for vodka, not as a craving, but as instinct..like it was just another incredient. (side note: probably should toss that vodka, huh?)
Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jgee View Post
probably should toss that vodka, huh?
Yes.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberBella1 View Post
I cleaned my whole house while drinking!!!! Not as motivated now.

That's my issue with yard work, especially hard yard work like yanking out a tree or cutting them back. Always seemed kind of fun while drinking, now it seems like work!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It is strange doing things for the first time sober. Some things are less fun (like ironing), while most things are far better! I love that quick moment when doing something and I realize "wow, haven't done this sober in years!".

Thanks for the giggles, everyone! And I was definitely one to have a drink on the bathroom counter while getting ready in the morning. I used to think that it "woke me up." How delusional!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Been sober 25 days now. I ALWAYS cleaned house while drinking. I HATE cleaning, so it just seemed easier to do when drunk. I haven't cleaned house in 25 days..lol
Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I haven't ironed since! LoL