Blogs

Notices

need help with dt situation

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well I wanted to quit or at least lower my intake before the episode..but I guess this sped things up. No real plan, except I got off the meds quickly (I like those too much too)..the only other thing is to try to keep busy, which is problematic since am not currently working. Right now this forumn is my therapy..not particularily ready or interested in the AA or group thing.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Cant thank everyone here enough tho.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It will be good to stick around this forum during your early recovery--you have a good attitude, and you will find lots of support.

Look around at some of the other areas of SoberRecovery--there is always plenty of inspiration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coldfusion For This Useful Post:
jgee (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Matt M

I was having the hallucinations at night a good few months before I actually had seizures.
It's pretty much a 2-3 day period of drinking no alcohol, after that you've got lucky and come through it.
Those days are horrible, absolutely horrible. And obviously very worrying.

I know it's very easy for people to sit here and say "go to hospital" but I know for a fact that I would NEVER have gone to hospital. Not in a million years.
I only went because I woke up to two paramedics and was taken into hospital.
That's why I never urge people to go because I know it normally won't do much.

Either way, I hope it all works out ok.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's very easy for people to sit here and say "go to hospital" but I know for a fact that I would NEVER have gone to hospital. Not in a million years.
Neither would I Matt - but I had several mini strokes entirely because I didn't.

I kinda hope others will be smarter than I was, y'know?

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
soberhawk (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
I was having the hallucinations at night a good few months before I actually had seizures.
It's pretty much a 2-3 day period of drinking no alcohol, after that you've got lucky and come through it.
Those days are horrible, absolutely horrible. And obviously very worrying.

I only went because I woke up to two paramedics and was taken into hospital.
That's why I never urge people to go because I know it normally won't do much.

Either way, I hope it all works out ok.
Yeah you've also gotta remember that the reason most people don't seek medical help when withdrawing from alcohol is they are highly anxious/paranoid/delusional when in that state and so the thought of going to a hospital can be terrifying. Also pride stops a lot of people because they don't want people to know they're alcoholics and how much they've really been drinking to get into that state. Also a lot of people are too weak to move during withdrawal never mind physically walk to the doctors or hospital and so in most cases it's either an emergency call that has to be made or the person just rides it out and hopes for the best.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Also in the States, lack of proper medical insurance is a big factor. Too often, hospitals who takes in "charity cases" ie uninsured people give them substandard treatment alongside a bad attitude. Now if you add alcoholism on top of poverty, there is a good chance the patient will be treated like crap