Notices

Sleep issues

Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep issues

I'm 6 days sober after my last drunk. One of the triggers for my lapses is sleep problems. I struggle to sleep and struggle more to get up. After many sleepless nights and late mornings the temptation to drink becomes worse. Alcohol quiets my racing head, knocks me out and the dehydration and sleep issues mean I'm more likely to get up when the alarm goes off! I'm determined not to lapse again, so, can I ask what people have done to sort out their sleep patterns. This has dogged me for years and I thought sobriety would "cure" it, but it seems to have made it worse. Please help!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey violet,

Congrats on 6 days sober!! I just made it to day 22 and am still having insomnia and anxiety. The anxiety is starting to slack off a bit but the insomnia has not. I have a lot of the same issues that you do as far as alcohol taking the edge off and slowing my mind down. I have asked similar questions before and a lot of the replies that I have gotten tell me that it will get better with time. One reply told me to try herbal sleep aids I believe valerian root is the one mentioned. I have been reluctant to try anything though due to my habit forming personality. Getting up hasn't been much of an issue anymore, its just trying to wind down after the day that is hard for me. I wish I had better advice for you, anyway I hope that helps..
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi VioletMae

if these problems go back years, have you considered seeing a doctor at all?

D
Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the same problem. I am on day 8 after 24 years ofdrinking. Went to the doctor and while embarrassed I was honest. He gve me a relatively non addictive sleepin pill. Works well, getting6-7 hours a night. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor, they can help you achieve your goals. Especially if sleep is a trigger for you like it was for me.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah for 6 days. I know its a struggle but keep going, it gets so amazing.

I still have sleep troubles at 2 years. Just trouble getting to sleep, tossing and turning.
But you know its not a reason to drink. Lack of sleep isnt the end of the world. Tired yes but tomorrows sleep is just a day away.

try some meditation or foot rub
Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Plenty of non addactive rx sleep meds ,I used to take them ,dont need them now .

The sleeping takes a while .
Old 08-13-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My doc perscribed me gabapentin and it helped a ton.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm over 2 years sober and I'm about to just give up on sleepig like a regular person. Tho I dont think my issue is lack of booze. I had this problem before i drank tho when i drank it knocked me down tho even then I recall having to take sleeping pills to sleep. Yeah heavy night of drinking + couple sleeping pills just to knock me down. In the begining i relied on those pills a lot to get to sleep but I found I was short of breath stopped taking those pills and i was no longer short of breath but still dont sleep well.

The really odd thing is despite the fact that i dont get the kind of sleep I'd like to get I feel amazingly good and ions better then I did back in my drinking days. This tells me booze wasnt the answer. I'm not sure what is yet but I'm not going to pickup a drink thats for sure.

In my case if i go to a doc I know the drill and no thanks I dont want those pills either. I just suck it up in the mean time.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I'm over 2 years sober and I'm about to just give up on sleepig like a regular person. Tho I dont think my issue is lack of booze. I had this problem before i drank tho when i drank it knocked me down tho even then I recall having to take sleeping pills to sleep. Yeah heavy night of drinking + couple sleeping pills just to knock me down. In the begining i relied on those pills a lot to get to sleep but I found I was short of breath stopped taking those pills and i was no longer short of breath but still dont sleep well.

The really odd thing is despite the fact that i dont get the kind of sleep I'd like to get I feel amazingly good and ions better then I did back in my drinking days. This tells me booze wasnt the answer. I'm not sure what is yet but I'm not going to pickup a drink thats for sure.

In my case if i go to a doc I know the drill and no thanks I dont want those pills either. I just suck it up in the mean time.
this is lilke my post and exaqctly how i feel.
Suck it up.
I think "no one ever died from lack of sleep"
Old 08-14-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go to the gym and have a good workout but do so several hours before bedtime. I recently started back at the gym and a heavy/intense workout helps a lot!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've had severe insomnia since early childhood. When I got sober, I no longer had the "luxury" of passing out and having any semblance of sleeping, even though the "sleep" I was getting was anything but restorative.

I only started taking sleep meds when I was about forty years old, and what a magnificent difference. Whenever I wake up, I felt well rested, alert and eager to take on each day's challenges. Of course, being sober helps a lot.

I think everyone who's newly sober should get a complete workup, and this includes assessments for insomnia and other psychological conditions. The idea that taking medications for anxiety, depression and insomnia is equivalent to addiction is irresponsible and harmful. People drink to extreme excess, will pop any pill given to them that changes their mood and consciousness, smoke and snort a whole bunch of substances to feel different, but then discriminate in the extreme when it comes to taking meds that can help remedy crippling conditions in sobriety for fear they're going to become addicted, that psych meds will "turn them into a robot," or that they won't be able to tolerate side effects.

Sleep affects and is affected by every important physiological and psychological process. Besides my sobriety, there are few things in life I value as much as a good night's sleep.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I've had severe insomnia since early childhood. When I got sober, I no longer had the "luxury" of passing out and having any semblance of sleeping, even though the "sleep" I was getting was anything but restorative.

I only started taking sleep meds when I was about forty years old, and what a magnificent difference. Whenever I wake up, I felt well rested, alert and eager to take on each day's challenges. Of course, being sober helps a lot.

I think everyone who's newly sober should get a complete workup, and this includes assessments for insomnia and other psychological conditions. The idea that taking medications for anxiety, depression and insomnia is equivalent to addiction is irresponsible and harmful. People drink to extreme excess, will pop any pill given to them that changes their mood and consciousness, smoke and snort a whole bunch of substances to feel different, but then discriminate in the extreme when it comes to taking meds that can help remedy crippling conditions in sobriety for fear they're going to become addicted, that psych meds will "turn them into a robot," or that they won't be able to tolerate side effects.

Sleep affects and is affected by every important physiological and psychological process. Besides my sobriety, there are few things in life I value as much as a good night's sleep.

I think that is the most helpful post i have seen on here -Good job
Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I couldn't sleep either, when I first got sober. Mad head, racing thoughts, memories I would rather not have, skeletons dancing in the closet. My first good night's sleep came immediately after step 5, and I have slept like a baby ever since.