Notices

86 days out the window

Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

86 days out the window

My names chris, I've been doing pretty good with sobriety the past 3 months. The past 4 years have been up and down with drinking and cocaine use. I decided i needed to go away 3 months ago, so I went to a 30 day rehab. When I got out I did about 30 days in a sober living environment, then I came home to live with my parents again. I have been working almost 7 days a week for my dad, going to the gym daily, went on vacation with my family, having sober AA parties at my house, but last night something made me just go out and get a pint of vodka. I drank it and listened to music, and when my parents came home they knew i was drunk. I have been working so hard to gain my parents trust back these past 3 months, and I feel lost now knowing i had a slip. What do I do from here? Did i **** up everything?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris

I'm not sure you screwed everything up beyond repair, but you probably set the relationship with your folks back a little.

If you stick to the straight and narrow from now on, I'm sure things will improve

do you have a plan for doing that?

D
Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how it feels to deceive oneself yet again

sad to say
but
most of us who are clean and sober today
relapsed a time or two or more
before staying sober

sure a very few stayed sober from day one
but
not many that is for sure

this all does not make you feel any better this I know

for yes you have let yourself and your family down
I've been there so many times that I lost count

all that you can really do is
get honest with yourself and family members (who need to know)
and
get back on the clean and sober One Day At A Time Program
Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ok

i want to stay sober and keep what i have gained within the past 3 months, but theres a side to me, that out of no where, thinks i will feel better than i feel at the moment, if i add alcohol to the situation. It Drives me crazy, because everything I have worked towards is making me feel good, but i get very complacent after I have some sobriety under my belt and I go test the waters again and it screws me. All in all, this is harder then i thought, to stay away and avoid something that is constantly around you.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by meltedbutter View Post
...but i get very complacent after I have some sobriety under my belt and I go test the waters again and it screws me.
If you aren't working your recovery, drinking or sober misery is usually the outcome. You mention AA in your first post. Take this complacency issue to your sponsor.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hi Chris,

Forget about it. Life happens and we do best to be ourselves as much as possible. This creates a challenge when getting clean n sober, because we often did feel at our best when wasted, and so this looks inviting to us when things go south.

If we really think about it though, for me anyways, yeah I too felt better and more myself often enough when wasted, but the deal with that was I felt like crap generally anyways because of the way I was living, so getting high or drunk of course felt better. Until it didn't, of course.

Addiction ambivalence is when we both want and don't want to get wasted. Its when we know better, and we know the right thing to do, but we still get pulled into thinking and feeling that using also has its place in our plans. Its when we struggle against a lifestyle of using while we're living a lifestyle of abstinence. Its a classic situation that every person who is addicted must face and process themselves through it to be finally rid of the see-saw of addiction troubles.

You've done rehab, and sober living, so you already have an edge in the game. You've also been embraced by your family, so you've got resources behind you to fully grow through all this ambivalence. It's not uncommon for most guys to have some setbacks of one kind or another when first quitting, so don't sweat yourself too much about what happened. You're doing it right by talking about it and seeking better outcomes by learning from others, for example like here on SR. Welcome!

Re-discover your core experiences which got you into rehab in the first place, and thrash that stuff out looking for some deeper stuff that is linked to how you are being happy with yourself in what you do plan to do with your life going forward. You're still young, so do you have a plan for your life? A career? School? Taking it easy?

I quit at 24, back in 1981. I started out drinking young being at 12 yrs old. I was a real mess. Not a pretty story. I did rehab too. 3 months. Stayed clean in rehab and since. I've had my challenges too in life, lol. I can tell you once you get past the using and ambivalence stage, you got to have reasons to wake up and get going with something you can really get involved in, or else it gets grim and tough to stay away from drinking. Staying sober is very doable for those who understand themselves enough to make it real.

Once we quit, there is more to life then just not using, is my experience, and knowing that we do best when we believe in ourselves is really an essential and required understanding that will carry you through a lifetime of sober living!