Notices

Motivation: How long does it take?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Motivation: How long does it take?

Its been a little over three month since drinking booze heavily on a daily basis and I am wondering when the motivation will come back? Of course I have good days where the air smells sweet and summery and when the chicken I had for dinner was the best ever but general motivation, for work as an example, just isnt there.

I dont look forward to doing things anymore. Sex, eating, sleeping, playing, whatever. I know my life will be better it just sucks right now and I'm hoping my thirst for life will come back sooner than later. Even when I thought about drinking, I then just think that wont make anything better and then I just feel worse.

And I feel like an a**hole for thinking this way because my life right now is not bad (could be much worse). I hate that I dont feel thankful for what i have. I want to honestly. I think sobriety is messing with my head. Been a few months since I vented. I am thankful for SR I know that much. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I definitely felt this way and it lasted longer than I'd care to say. Please realise that things will improve provided you don't drink and that it is better not to rush the process. You are right where you need to be. I promise you it will improve

Some things I could have done sooner to help myself were regular exercise and eating a bit healthier but to be honest I was so knackered that the latter didn't seem possible. Try to focus on the positive too. I bet there are a ton of improvements since you stopped drinking too... ?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no idea how old you are. But lack of motivation also comes with age.
I honestly never noticed that big of a jump from quitting drinking.
The thing that does help get me motivated is going to the gym.Which is something I never did back when I was drinking. One good workout helps for several days. A months membership costs about what I would spend on beer in three days....30 bucks. Works for me....
Fred
Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by seanyson View Post
...I know my life will be better it just sucks right now and I'm hoping my thirst for life will come back sooner than later. Even when I thought about drinking, I then just think that wont make anything better and then I just feel worse.
Abstinence is not-drinking and feeling bad about it.

Recovery is not drinking and feeling good about it.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

It can be difficult to think beyond maintaining sobriety in the early days, I would ask how motivated were you when you were drinking heavily? Because I for sure wasn't going to aim high if it meant interfering with my drinking. I am at 5 months, and just now beginning to think about doing something, maybe! But that is me, we are all very different in desires and direction, but perhaps you can generate your own motivation, by setting goals, small and large and crossing off achieved ones, or finding ways of making bigger ones more attainable.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My situation was different, so not sure how applicable it is. I quit my job 4 months before I stopped drinking. I would say my motivation kicked in one month after I stopped drinking. So, for me, there was more than one issue to address.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi seanyson -

I think everyone's different, but it took about 4 months for my energy/motivation to start coming back. You might want to take a look at this PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome) article (I felt a lot better after reading it when I had the same questions):

Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies