Notices

Alcohol tastes awful!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol tastes awful!

I used to love wine. Red wine. To the tune of 2+ bottles every day. Lately, I've gone off wine completely (yuk!) and had taken to drinking 12+ beers a day.

Now, I cannot stand the taste of either!! Good god; I hope this means I'm finally ready to quit...

On day 3ish of 'tapering'... really, I've just cut way back but it's been rough still! Withdrawal symptoms scare me; and make me think I 'need'...

Ugh it's tough doing this in the work-week as well; I am sweaty and shaky and I mean, I reek! It must look strange..

The most nagging symptom, though, has been the anxiety. And guilt, which fuels the anxiety...

I just need to learn how to get through those moments. I wish I wasn't so exhausted, because I know exercise would help! And my head is spinning; I know I should meditate...or something.

After 3 days of vastly reduced consumption (less than half; & I'm concurrently reducing weed as well)... I think I'm ready to stop completely. I mean I really cannot stand the taste!! It's the strangest thing.. (but hey, I am thankful!)

So this is it. I hope!

Many thanks to all of you. I've read and have been inspired by sooooo many threads here.

Thankful for SR!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck! I am glad you are inspired and hope you are able to quit alcohol completely. For me, tapering did not work, and if I had a choice I'd have done it over again and gone straight to detox. But that is just me. I hope you stop drinking asap, and it sounds like you are ready to stop! Why not make today the first day of complete sobriety! Congrats and thank for the post.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found towards the end of my drinking that I no longer liked the taste of wine. I definitely took it as a sign that it was time to quit.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Yes, for a long time I hated the taste of alcohol. The taste seemed to get more and more pronounced (and worse) with time. Unfortunately, it never slowed me down.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At the beginning of a bender I used to love the taste of a cold beer. In the end I hated it - always fighting against the feeling of having to puke.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drexo View Post
At the beginning of a bender I used to love the taste of a cold beer. In the end I hated it - always fighting against the feeling of having to puke.
At the beginning of any of my weekend benders I loved the taste of vodka and beer, but this past Sunday, I had troubles getting the drinks down but I pushed on through and emptied all the booze into my mouth and that is when I decided enough is enough.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well, it sure puts the lie to the idea we drink for the taste
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
well, it sure puts the lie to the idea we drink for the taste
Isn't that the truth. I only drank to get drunk not because I loved the taste of it. My gosh, it is utterly unbelievable the things I will throw down my throat just to get drunk. I call it insanity.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Serenity1972 View Post
Isn't that the truth. I only drank to get drunk not because I loved the taste of it. My gosh, it is utterly unbelievable the things I will throw down my throat just to get drunk. I call it insanity.
I only drank because it was so sophisticated. Well, when I was in the wine phase of my controlled drinking experiment...until I had to much wine.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for starting to quit.

I remember when I would pull the cork out with my teeth and gag. Also when I took the first couple of sips.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thats your body trying to tell you somthing -imo
Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was a red wine drinker myself, used to love it. The thought of it nowadays makes me gag...
Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gigi0310 View Post
Good for you for starting to quit.

I remember when I would pull the cork out with my teeth and gag. Also when I took the first couple of sips.
Haha. That happened to me too! Surely a sign.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
oak

Congrats on starting to stop. Sobriety is so much better than drinking!

I have always hated the taste of alcohol. My body would gag as I drank.
Now, it is strange to get urges to drink even though I hate the taste. But I do think hating the taste helps me to stay sober.

You mentioned anxiety and guilt and meditation. I love listening to guided meditations- especially when I cannot get myself to sit in silent meditation.

I like Tara Brach's guided meditations and talks.
Tara Brach - Audio - Guided Meditations

She also has talks for free on iTunes podcasts. Some of them talk about addiction, although I am unsure of the exact titles of those talks.

Good luck in tapering (and staying quit)!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I only drank because it was so sophisticated. Well, when I was in the wine phase of my controlled drinking experiment...JAHA!

after twenty years of pretty much drinking mostly beer, i switched mostly to wine in the vain attempt to make myself look/seem sophisticated in front of my own drunken eyes as i sat in my place by myself getting sloshed.
oh jaja, great sophistication was for sure going on!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oak- I just started listening to Tara Brach!

Thanks everyone.