Notices

Did anyone else drink to kill the hangovers ?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I did it for years. Thought it was so helpful at first - no hangover - no shakes. It just meant the alcohol never left my system. No wonder I was drinking 'round the clock in the end.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In 2 ways, firstly waking up at 3:30-4:00am because I had passed out around 7:00pm and getting up knowing there was still a few beers in the fridge that would be "the last ever", just to get worrying about whether I would drink again that day thoughts out of the way. Secondly waking up around then and knowing there were none and literally counting the minutes until I could leave for when the beer store was open (including knowing the time it would take to drive there so I could be there right as it opened). Many times I've used the "withdrawl can kill you, you better taper starting today", which wound up being the same amount or more that day, rinse, repeat. It truly is a vicious cycle.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah, at the end I got to this stage. Drinking, then feeling nice and drunk, then rapidly losing the buzz, despite having just done a 6 pack, getting up to go out for more alcohol, and noticing it was only 9am.

Looking back, I can now see the depth of my addiction and it scares me.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by DesperadoBlond View Post
I did that too!

As someone wrote: It's a way to avoid withdrawal.

The really horrible part, for me, was at the very end of my drinking. I was doing half glasses of Vodka in the morning in order just to function... and even that stopped working.

One of the last mornings I was a trembling mess. Couldn't walk straight, horrible heart burn, profuse sweating, out of control heart beat and I felt like I REALLY was going to have a seizure any second if I couldn't drink another glass of Vodka. And horror of all horrors - the Vodka no longer helped to alleviate those symptoms!

I don't know if other people inevitably get to that same point, but that makes me realize what a slippery slope you are on once you have to drink in the mornings to chase the withdrawals away. You no longer have a life and alcohol has taken over entirely.

Yep I was exactly the same as this.
The only way to counter the shaking/heart racing/hangover etc was to get more alcohol inside me as quickly as possible.
And it worked, but obviously doing that on a daily basis for a long time ends up doing some serious damage.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The thing that shocked me, thinking back on my downfall, was how easy it was to slip into. I maintained a functional life until I was about 28, then all of a sudden I was in deep.

My final 4 months of drinking were astonishingly excessive, and it was so simple to allow myself to be taken in by the addiction. It told me everything was going to be better if I stuck with it. It was lying, of course.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Remember the Third Rock episode where William Shatner plays the Big Giant Head and discovers how much he likes alcohol on his visit to Earth?

The next day he is almost dead with a hangover. Someone hands him a drink, and he instantly recovers saying, "It's going to be another golden day!"