Notices

Is This Breaking Confidence

Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think its more a breach of confidentiality than anonymity. I left AA for various reasons but one being anonymity. No such thing IMO. Anyone can come to open meetings (non-alcoholics) just observers. They aren't members and don't have to "stick to the rules". I know of non alcoholics that go to closed meetings. These could be anybody and could talk about anyone or anything to outsiders if they want. So could alcoholics, but less likely so.

I knew of one person who wasn't an alcoholic (or even close), but was having problems finding friends. So this was a social club. I also knew of someone who was working on some advanced paper on social work for college and went to lots of meetings to write the paper. I believe she may even have "sponsored" someone. Not sure, but it was the word in the rooms.

IDK, whether its trust issues or not. People are people and if it's in them to talk/gossip they will no matter what.

Not everyone, of course. But's it hard to know sometimes. I have family members I can't always trust, so strangers even less so.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I think it was terribly inappropriate. It is no one's business what step you are on except yours. You choose to experience the steps with your sponsor, you choose to let them know what step you are on. If you chose to speak at a meeting about it, then it is your choice. The sponsor shouldn't refer to your progress at all. No one should take your choice away. Personal information about your recovery is yours. What if your 4th step wasn't done, would the sponsor have said "Sally isn't doing so good on her 4th step." What is to stop them from saying that about your 5th? Boundaries stop it. Sorry this happened.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Anyone can come to open meetings (non-alcoholics) just observers. They aren't members and don't have to "stick to the rules".
Reminds me of a movie in which the main guy went to all types of meetings because he was addicted to going to group meetings. Who knows if people like that exist!