Notices

Its now taken its toll in the past 8 months

Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
I would advice against it. You are a lucky man. The last thing you want is Alcoholic Hepatitis and or Korsakoff Syndrome.
Booze is unsafe for you in any amounts IMHO. Don't do it to yourself or your family.
Give AA a go. Read the Big Book. There are other recovery modalities to choose from and this forum covers most.
You sound like you are just having a break and mean to drink again. Alcoholism is a progressive illness and you may decide to try moderating but trust me its unlikely to succeed. Abstinence in your case sounds like the only way. I was about halfway down that road to where you got and could see where it led as my father went there after he decided he could drink again and died as a result. I decided to take no chances and chose life.
Thanks John,

Sorry bout your Dad.

Your are right about the whole abstinence method. If I was to drink a beer right here and right now it would be finished in 5 seconds...would start it off.

not good..
Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
Thanks John, Sorry bout your Dad. Your are right about the whole abstinence method. If I was to drink a beer right here and right now it would be finished in 5 seconds...would start it off. not good..
Thanks Maxx, The old man was sober for 10 years and I got out of home at 18 because if it were bad enough when he was drinking it was hell when he was sober. The man was unable to address his anger and resentments and whatever else pushes us to drink and it took him back to it.
True recovery asks that we admit powerlessness and find in ourselves the honesty and courage to let go of our former lives. To forgive the past and let the future be what it will be. Accept and forgive. It's a way of life. Not drinking one day at a time is only part of it. I found with self will alone I would last never more than a few weeks.
Good effort.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi everyone-Hope all is well,

Still haven't drank anything still since my 1st post!! This month has been so looooong.

I have so much RESPECT for the people on this site! There is NO WAY id be able to get this far if it wasn't for my Pancreatitis. If it was a option to drink I would have by now. Guaranteed.

Doctors say that one drink can kill me now. Words cant describe the emotions I feel when my brain is CONSTANTLY telling me to drink. Every single day this month!

Today though was exceptionally horrible. I thought about drinking ALL day today. It consumed me. There was no ''trigger'', I woke up and wanted to drink...that's it. Near the end of the day I was shaking allot...This is new to me...why? has this happened to anyone here?

To be honest, im really scared. 40+ more years to go?

For now my method for sobriety is simple. One day at a time....just don't drink...Think about my family.

That, and, my girlfriend. I tell her everything.

Tried AA, and other support groups but I don't think that its for me.

I'm just going to keep going.. but why does it feel like i'm loosing this battle!?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi.
"Tried AA, and other support groups but I don't think that its for me.

I'm just going to keep going.. but why does it feel like i'm loosing this battle!?"

Because in the short/long term you have lost! Wanting to drink even after serious warnings is part of sanity?

That's unfortunate as the option it seems now is the same old same old miserable existence I and others felt until we got sick and tired of being sick and tired. To get and stay sober We found we had to surrender to what's killing us and be HONEST with OURSELVES! there is NO going back to a pleasant period of drinking, EVER. If you can accept that you may be on the path of sobriety, if not good luck. BE WELL
Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

So sorry you tried working those steps and they didn't do anything for ya. Untreated alcoholism is difficult to live with and I always ended up drinking again. Maybe you can work Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, SOS, Life Ring, or just SR.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Glad you are doing this Maxx and congrats, that is a great start. Keep moving forward