Notices

Finally sober!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Finally sober!

After battling alcohol for another 1 1/2 years since my last post, I've finally quit! I kept trying the tapering off method because I was scared cold turkey would possibly kill me since i was drinking a 1.75 liter of cheap vodka in 3 days. It never worked and I ended up drinking more. When I quit I was drinking a 1.75 liter in 2 days or less (a 5th a day). My kidneys hurt and throbbed with pain. I was sweating all day and even worse in my sleep. I had insomnia. I believe I had a uti or my kidneys were failing because when I urinated it burned and almost nothing would come out. I felt as if I had to urinate about every 30 min and my urine was a dark brown color and looked as if it had small amounts of blood in it. My breath was horribly disgusting no matter how many times I would use mouthwash or brush my teeth. I would get cramps in my front abdomen area and back just from bending a certain way or stretching. I had almost no energy. Red bulls did nothing for me. I would get extremely tired after eating and would nap or go to sleep for the day. After naps, I would throw up all of what I had eaten only a couple hours before so I wasn't getting any nutrition. I had gone from my usual 200 lbs to 240 lbs. I believe this was mostly from water retention (a side affect of kidney failure) I had come to the point of death. Then on the 20th of July, in some sort of a half awake dream or hallucination, I saw God. He told me that if I didn't quit drinking, I would be dead in less than a month. He told me that both of my kidneys were failing. He said to drink nothing but water. I woke up and drank as usual except chasing the vodka with water. I was contemplating what I had experienced, but ended up brushing it off as a weird dream of some sort. 3 days later I had the same experience. This time God pointed over at what I would assume was Satan or a demon who was laughing at me. He said " I told you he wouldn't listen! " Then God said to me " I think you got the recipe wrong my son. I said nothing BUT water, not alcohol AND water. You have only days left. If you do not stop now, I can do nothing more for you. I will not come back again. The choice is yours " When I woke up, I had absolutely no desire to drink. I quit cold turkey. I went through horrible withdrawal symptoms for 3 days. Constant sleeping, sweating and shaking. I would get the chills and anything food I ate would come back up. On the 3rd day I was able to eat normally. I started taking one a day vitamins, power C and a B 100 complex. This helped a lot. The next day I added a balance bar and red bull zero to my daily vitamins in the morning and have been doing that ever since. I stopped drinking anything with sugar in it and only drink 5-7 pints of water and 1 red bull zero a day. All of the above mentioned ailments have completely gone away. After quitting I do have exceptionally dry itchy skin on my face, my lips are chapped and cracking and I am very sensitive to loud noises, but its worth it. As of day 13 I feel like a whole new person! I have tons of energy, I am urinating normally, I have lost 11 lbs., no pain, no cramps, no bad breath, normal sleeping, no napping, normal eating, no vomiting, no sweating and no pain in my kidneys. I am absolutely amazed at what a difference it makes in the way I feel now that I don't drink alcohol! I had to do it cold turkey. I figured if I was going to die from drinking anyway, it may as well be from trying to quit. 2 weeks clean tomorrow! Thanks guys for the support. I retained a lot of what you said to me a year and a half ago and used your advice to help me through the past 2 weeks.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Great story.

Mitch Albom, originally a sports writer from Detroit and author of Tuesdays With Morrie and other books, has long gone uncredited with the quote, "Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." He too has struggled with alcohol. He also wrote something like, "We find God in the strangest places." I think he's a good writer, and he has many inspirational and quotable passages.

I'm not religious, but if God showed up in your dream, then God showed in your dream.

If you haven't already done so, please see your doctor for a full workup.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Huh?

Dark brown urine can be indicative of cirrhosis.
Get tested.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great story ,and yes i have no thought it did not occur .

God is powerful .
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HereIAm321 View Post
Dark brown urine can be indicative of cirrhosis.
Get tested.
The dark brown urine went away after 3 or 4 days of quitting.