Notices

drinking dreams

Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking dreams

last night was a weird one. I saw my beloved tequila in front of me. In my dream I avoided it, keeping mind of where it was kept (in my brother's backpack, for whatever reason). I then circled back and took the bottle.

I inhaled the fumes, getting literally drunk off of the smell. Walking around for a while with the small bottle concealed I eventually took a drink.

In my dream I woke up wondering if my drinking was a dream or not. This is a common scenario I go through after a drinking dream, but I'm not used to it being a dream within a dream.

In my dream I went to an AA meeting with a 1.5L bottle of white wine. I kept gargling the wine and spitting it back into the bottle, knowing I wasn't actually drinking it, until I eventually flushed it down the toilet.

during the dream I kept feeling so much guilt for breaking my 55 days sober.

Then I woke up, wondering if I had actually drank or not.

I'm pretty excited for these dreams to stop. You know you have a problem when you dream about drinking and then feel guilty about it.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not to make light of the temptation to drink, that's a great drinkng dream. Especially the gargling of the white wine. When I'm more anchored in sobriety, I have these dreams less. When I spend more time thinking about going back out there again, they strike.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Had a drinking dream last night and its been almost 8 months without a drink. The thing I hate most about these dreams is I wake up exhausted, I feel as though these types of dreams are very draining and counterproductive to waking up refreshed and alert.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like these dreams, one I realize they are just dreams. I am so relieved that it's not real and I still have my sobriety. They remind me of all the shame I would feel if I were to drink.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The really upsetting ones wane with time. But, I just had one this past weekend, and I have 20 months. I still woke up wondering if I had really drank it. I could remember the taste. Vividly.

It's unsettling for sure, but normal.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had one last night... I was at our hunting camp, and packing up to go home. For some reason, everyone else was all packed up and gone, and the only things they'd left behind for me to drink on my 3 hour ATV ride back to my truck through the South Florida swamp (VERY HOT and MUGGY!!!) were water bottles filled with crown and water and a few bud lights... "Dream" was more like a nightmare I guess.... At least I woke up before I drank them...
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by GoodbyeJose View Post
In my dream I went to an AA meeting with a 1.5L bottle of white wine. I kept gargling the wine and spitting it back into the bottle...
You want it, but you don't want it. And you eventually flush it.

As an alcoholic, I dream about alcohol. Why wouldn't I? People without alcohol problems dream about things like sex, food and money, but rarely about alcohol.

My drinking dreams remind me of what and who I am. My dreams are the only place where I can drink safely.

Though such dreams may be disturbing, they are not otherwise harmful. Feeling guilt and relief upon awakening is a signal that you're healing and making progress.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by ForMyGirls View Post
I had one last night... I was at our hunting camp, and packing up to go home. For some reason, everyone else was all packed up and gone, and the only things they'd left behind for me to drink on my 3 hour ATV ride back to my truck through the South Florida swamp (VERY HOT and MUGGY!!!) were water bottles filled with crown and water and a few bud lights... "Dream" was more like a nightmare I guess.... At least I woke up before I drank them...
Yeah, you had all that booze to yourself. But guess what? You were all alone. And in the wilderness/swamp, no less. To have any chance of getting out, you needed to do what the others did: Make your way home with a clear head.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
As an alcoholic, I dream about alcohol. Why wouldn't I? People without alcohol problems dream about things like sex, food and money, but rarely about alcohol.
When I was drinking I dreamed (when I actually DID dream) about sex and money. I miss those dreams.

I don't miss the daily hangover and anxiety about not having enough tequila in the house though.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also had dreams about drinking. I was pleasantly surprised to wake up and be sober. They went away after a couple months. Good job!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had my first drinking dream the other night. It freaked me out. I did not dream I was drinking but that I had drank and went into a black out. I woke, in my dream, and there were liquor bottles there and that horrible, what happened last night?

I was going over and over what to do. I wanted to call my sponsor and tell her and I was shaking like a leaf. I was ashamed and in a panic.

I woke up and I was like "Whoa", it was a dream but there is no doubt that it would be exactly what would happen if I did drink.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I've had 3 drinking dreams in the last week, the first was when my mother accused me of drinking again when I hadn't and I started to physically attack her (not good)' the second was when I actually did have a drink and felt awful about it (waking up to a massive feeling of relief that I hadn't) and last night I had one where I had a big row with my sister and declared "I'm getting a drink" which was followed by my family trying to restrain me.

I haven't even had any major cravings but the fact I've just started having these dreams and the fact that I've had 3 in 7 days suggests that maybe my sub conscious is trying to warn me of something....