Notices

Has anyone tried medication?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone tried medication?

Hello...I am having a hard time staying sober. Just read the book "Her Best Kept Secret" about women and drinking and alternatives to AA.

Has anyone ever tried different medications to help? I'm thinking about it, but I really don't want to do that.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

My doctor prescribed me some pills to stop cravings but they didn't work, and in the end I just did it medication free. I hoped there was an easy way to stop, but developing my own set of tools gave me more pride in achievement.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why wouldn't you? Take any and all the help made available to you. I don't think id be sober today without the help of medication.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm....when I was having a hard time staying sober what I needed was support and feedback on my current behaviors. I am my worse enemy afterall! I attend AA meetings (sporadically) and I see a therapist on a regular basis. There are many paths to sobriety some that include medication and some that don't. We are all unique individuals so what works for some won't work for others. I suggest accessing all the resources you have available to you including your doctor.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was on naltrexone for the first two months. There were no noticeable side effects and it was very helpful in the beginning for me. I understand this is not the case for everybody though.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by RenoDis View Post

Has anyone ever tried different medications to help? I'm thinking about it, but I really don't want to do that.
I have tried Transcendental, Vipassana, ZaZen & Mindfulness. IMO they all work better than more drugs.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
(Albert Einstein)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did -zoloft it helped ALOT !
Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Benzodiazepines are sometimes used by doctors when people are weaning off heavy alcohol abuse.These tablets provide degree of relaxation rather similar to alcohol but are VERY ADDICTIVE.
If depression is a problem additional to excessive drinking an anti depressant (the right one) could help.
A better idea may be counselling to engage any problems that may be seen as needing medication.

Always seek medical advice and second opinions where felt necessary.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take naltrexone, but it doesn't seem to help at all. I want to get antabuse if I can, but seem not to have any luck finding a doctor to prescribe it.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used campral for six months. I didn't drink! But I can't say it was the pills alone.

I did do acupuncture for six months as well. That really really helped with anxiety and the cravings. There are specific points for addiction.

Really I think a program of recovery that targets everything, mind body and spirit is what helped me through.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to take Naltrexone. For me it didn't work. I know everyone is different, but I was so powerless to the alcohol, I needed a work of God; nothing else ever helped me to stay sober.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I took Campral. Really helped with the cravings. I think it is an excellent medication.
Best,
Nancy