Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Sober alcoholic who wants to talk to and hang out with friends when they are drunk

Notices

Sober alcoholic who wants to talk to and hang out with friends when they are drunk

Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hope the title isn't confusing. I have a friend who's sober, however not in a program of recovery (has been on and off for last 7 years, but decided she would get sober after her last relapse without AA). She's been sober about 4-5 months, and is now asking old friends from AA who are no longer in recovery, aka drinking again, to call her when they are drunk, or that she wants to hang out with them when they are drunk, but not drink herself. It seems she just wants to be around old friends when they are drunk. I am a little baffled about this. For me, it's boring and lame to hang out with drunk people when you are sober and I just feel there's something strange about it. Anyone got any ideas why she would want to do this???
Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Misery loves miserable company.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does she only want to hang out with them when they are drunk or just wants to hang out with them regardless of whether they're drinking or not?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She does hang out when other person is sober, but just is particularly insistent about wanting to see this person drunk.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes hanging around people that are drinking can make an alcoholic want to join in and drink (at least that has happened to me). Maybe she, consciously or unconsciously, wants to drink with them?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

maybe she's looking for a mirror ??? the problem I see in hanging out with people that are
drinking is that that projected mirror a become self-reflective and I wind up drinking again....
the old AA saying..."people, places, and things...."
Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it would be irritating & a complete waste of time
Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Could be she wants a contact buzz. For me I did and sometimes still do like to live vicariously through others. It sounds strange and I don't recommend it but being around my friends drinking or getting high can be fun. But then on the drive home I think "man I'm glad I'm sober". Or maybe she wants to try to talk them into getting sober again. Who knows? Have you asker her?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hung out with a lot of my friends yesterday who still drink and were all drinking yesterday. Seeing some of them go from happy and talkative to passing out and talking gibberish or becoming angry for absolutely no reason definitely reinforced my decision to remain sober
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

they say alcohol is but a symptom of our disease.

I don't have a problem being around a social drinker, I wouldn't want to be around anyone that drank like I did. I was a raving lunatic

Why add to temptation by being around people doing something you can't?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That seems strange that she wants to be around a certain person particularly when they are drunk. I have no idea why she would want to do that. I'm quite the opposite, I don't want to be around my old friends if they are drinking...it would be triggering and annoying.
Who knows? I'd ask her.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I dont think that will end well .
Old 08-04-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I wonder if this friend's behaviour while drunk actually reinforces her own resolve to stay sober. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't recommend or even suggest that anyone do this, but it is a possible explanation.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

IMO, shes sick. it would be a great way for me to start a pre meditated drunk.