Notices

Trigger

Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trigger

I'm having one of my weird brain-centered cravings again. I had hoped these would be gone after 90 days. I'm not sure what triggered it. I've been working on a difficult to solve problem today, but making progress. So, I don't think I am particularly frustrated.

I really think my brain biochemistry is just off. I'm going to just accept it for what it is and live through it tonight without drinking. My plan is to watch a movie and go to bed early. Tomorrow is another day.

It scares me to think a day like this could turn into a relapse if I am having an off day or feeling weak and let my AV take over. But not today!

EDIT: to clarify, it feels like a physical craving. Sometimes it seems to come from my gut, but today it's my brain.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm thinking the mental stimulation is triggering the craving. My brain is having to rewire itself to work without the alcohol and it's fighting back. Kinda like your gut fights back when you try to go on a diet.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us continue to deal with cravings for a long while.
I drank hard for twenty years. 90 days was great - but I was still basically scratching the surface.

The thoughts and cravings may come, but the measure of our recovery is what we do in response, I think.

Seems like you're doing ok, GroundhogDay

D
Old 08-03-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awareness is half the battle. That's one reason I joined SR.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought I was done with bad cravings until the day before my 6 month anniversary came along. I really have no idea what triggered it. But I pulled into the parking lot of a beer store,and opened the door to get out. When I realized 6 months was about to be wiped out. I made myself wait till the next day. I still wanted to drink. But I made it through the day and went to an AA meeting and got my 6 month coin,while explaining how close I was to loosing it.
I don't know what it was. Getting the coin. Talking about it or what. But when I left the meeting I was OK. That was the last really bad craving I had like that.
Hang in there because it really is worth it. Freedom is worth it.
Fred
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still get them occasionally but I am learning better ways to avoid them. Just small subliminal stuff like simply looking the other way at the right moment. I used to get hung on every sign in the street and commercial on the web or tv. Lately though I just glance past these minor distractions and go on about myself.

I do remind myself to keep my guard up though as the mental beast of alcoholic cravings still gets to me at times.