Notices

I Need Some Encouragement

Old 08-02-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Need Some Encouragement

Sheesh, I can't seem to string together any length of sober time. I go 6 or 7 days and then decide to have a few beers. It doesn't work. Someone tell me I can make this happen.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You most definitely can make this happen Feenixx. Do you have a plan as to how to handle various scenarios and situations? Without a plan things tend to fall apart in a hurry, another thing I found helpful was to not make a long term commitment. Just to not drink today was always good for me, and every day renew that commitment.

We don't all stop on that first second or even third try, I know I didn't. There's also many programs out there that can assist you with coping stills.

I know that you can do this!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't realise you were having this much trouble Feenix.

Maybe it's time to look at what you're doing to stay sober and think about what else you can add to that?

D
Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think you can do it, but your going to have to do it differently. Get a sponsor and work the steps (one step at a time). Could it worse than what you are putting yourself through now?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are your triggers sneaking up on you, or are you trying to keep the same routine except for the drinking? You need to make changes to your routine to avoid the triggers. You also need to identify all of your triggers. Try writing them down when they happen. Could be something as simple as hunger.

Also, you are coping with strong cravings at 6-7 days. Read up on AVRT to learn to dissociate yourself from your AV. The cravings will actually get stronger up to 60 days before subsiding. At least that was what I read yesterday on the NIH website.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Yes, I need to make some serious changes. I'm going to try very hard to do 90 in 90, and I'm going to get a sponsor ASAP. I've only been going to 2 or 3 meetings per week and I don't currently have a sponsor. However, I have been doing quite a bit of reading and thinking. I'm finally starting to realize deep down to my core that I am an alcoholic and I simply cannot take that first drink.

I know I can do this, but today's mental, emotional and physical hangover was brutal. I'll feel better tomorrow after a good night's rest and then attending a morning meeting.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Feenix, YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

90 in 90 sounds like a good plan. I read that you double your odds of not relapsing if you get through 90 days sober.