Notices

What is meant by getting sober 'on your own'?

Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post

I've also had a lot of success with an intensive therapy I went through a few years back. It was primarily for purely mental health issues, but it also applies perfectly to addiction too. I believe it's even being used more and more for addiction treatment (if you're curious, you could see if Dialectical Behavior Therapy is offered near you.)
My therapist uses DBT in our sessions. And I've found that meditating in the Vipassana style of Buddhist meditation is great for mindfulness, in fact I think it teaches the essence of mindfulness... so when my therapist found out I was doing this, she was thrilled. It goes hand in hand with DBT.

Just recently I bought a workbook called The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook, it is excellent!! I've just started working through it.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

SR has been my prime support in giving up. I tried going it alone, but I found it too easy to start drinking again as I found I had no feeling of 'owning' my sobriety, once I started posting how many days I had done and being congratulated on my achievements I found the desire to continue. Now of course I daren't drink again, as there are several here who would beat me to a pulp if they found out!!! ( yes it's a joke, but I do feel the added onus of not wanting to tell folk here I have fallen has added to my determination to succeed.) I owe my sobriety to finding SR, it so not my only support, I had some counselling, and a loving husband, but SR is where I find the understanding support and advice for every situation
Old 08-03-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Re Doing it on your own

The 10+ years I spent in A.A. was some of the best ever. I did what they suggested, got a sponsor, a home group and got active in the program. My sobriety was blooming.

Then, I slowly drifted away from the program, no surprises there. I got tired of the same old stories, I guess. So I started my own sober routine instead, which by the way suits me just fine. As long as I stay connected, somehow, I manage to ‘stay’ sober. I hope this helps