Notices

Day 263 & having a blast.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Day 263 & having a blast.

Today is day 263 and I am having a blast in my sobriety. I'm not talking about " Fence Straddling Sobriety". That's where people use meetings just to get clean and/or sober for a while and then they go right back to using and/or drinking for a while, then back to meetings and then back to using and/or drinking. I have seen those people in all of the groups I attend. Those people are always miserable and never have any peace.

I'm talking about full-fledged 100% sobriety. No more blackouts, nightmares, hangovers, sickness (physically or mentally). Relationships have been repaired, I'm happy, my strength is back and my training is out of this world. I did a contest last month and took 1st place. I'm riding my motorcycle again, something I had gave up for a few years because of my drinking (I was afraid I was going to get killed), now I'm riding again and having a blast.

I strongly suggest to those who are in and out of sobriety, stop flirting with your addiction. Get clinical help, then get into a 12 step program. Don't make a big deal over whether or not it's faith-based or secular! The most important thing should be breaking the chains of an addiction that can and will ruin your life - and possibly even take your life. Stop "straddling the fence" and get & stay 100% clean & sober. You will be happier, healthier and stronger than you have been in years. And a whole new world of jobs, friends and other good things will open up for you.

Kick the addiction to the curb once and for all!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 263 days Dave! x
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats great .

Im not 100% sober by AA standards ,a beer on occasion .

We all do what works for us ,if 100% is what gets you on track ,fantastic .
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on having a blast.
I always said my booze problem was like being in prison.
To hear you describe it,sounds like you were released 263 days ago.
I'm havin a blast also....
Fred
Old 08-01-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey

I am on Day 258 today and similarly feeling good.

It has certainly not been an easy ride, and there have been times when I have felt extremely low indeed, but like you Dave, I am on the up and feeling good.

I have also really taken control of my fitness (I am a road cyclist) and have started getting King Of The Mountain awards on Strava (Google that if you don't know what it is) which I never would have dreamed possible this time last year. Amazed at myself.

And you are right; the only way to get over this horrific addiction is to make a decision and to stick to it. No messing about and no thinking you can juggle having a drinking life and a non-drinking life. When you get to our stage, you are either on it, or you are off. If you stay on it, you are going to die in a nasty way. If you come off it, and just make the choice to remain off it, you will not die any time soon and will be able to do all the things you wanted to do. It really is that simple.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dave & TDInstall,

Thanks for posting this. I needed to hear this today.

CJ.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Damn right.

While the focus of this website tends to be, and indeed should be helping people through the most difficult part of it all which is the early days, and things get very heavy sometimes, I think it is also important to talk about the positive side of all this; the fact that once you get off the junk, the whole world opens up and things get very rad indeed.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Hey, some great response. Yes, for those of us who have suffered with the addiction, we know that 100% is the only way. Returning to drinking would cost me...and others, our lives! Alcoholism will cost people their jobs, family, relationships and will create health problems both physically and mentally. Casual drinking is never an option for the alcoholic and those of us who have fought this thing in the trenches know this.

Yes, the first 3-4 months were very tuff for me. I have posted in the past about those days. But 9 months into sobriety I feel great. Getting and staying sober has saved my life. It's given me a new lease life, and as I said, I am truly having a blast. If you are in early recovery, hang in there. Go to meetings, work the steps and in time it all get's better. Trust me.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dave, I am 1 day behind you (262 today). I loved your share, thank you, it absolutely gets better. That old slogan, It Works If You Work It! I'd just add that being of Service is a big key to my Recovery. It doesn't have to be this big ol commitment of time either. A couple little things that are so helpful. * Can you come early or stay after to get the meeting together. * Volunteer to be of service to those who might need some help with transportation. *. Listen, pay attention, be respectful when others are sharing at the meeting. We ALL want to be heard. If we share do we want to see others texting or whispering? Lots more , just a few off the top of my head. I am speaking about AA meetings. But, I think being of service is just being a caring person...thinking of others and ACTING on that thought. :-D. Bobbi
Old 08-02-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Re: Day 263

That's great news. Keep the momentum going.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! It sounds like recovery suits you

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
" Fence Straddling Sobriety". That's where people use meetings just to get clean and/or sober for a while and then they go right back to using and/or drinking for a while, then back to meetings and then back to using and/or drinking. I have seen those people in all of the groups I attend. Those people are always miserable and never have any peace.
You are right. They do not have peace. I try to help these people.

We were just going through this chapter at our BB meeting. I mentioned that even at 4 months sober I feel I can help. I have met several new ladies and even if I don't see them every time, I do see them here and there. Maybe they are sober and just have outside obligations or maybe they are in and out.

The important thing is I have met and spoke with them. They know I am there and will be a friendly face if they come again. I mean the motto is "keep coming back".
Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Yes, Step 12 is giving back - helping others - everyday! This is why I will never stop going to meetings. You never know when you will have a chance to help someone.