SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Need a little support from my friends at SR (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/302695-need-little-support-my-friends-sr.html)

john44 08-01-2013 03:40 AM

Need a little support from my friends at SR

I have to go to court today. An incident happened a few months ago, while I was sober, that resulted in my being taken to the hospital and then arrested (much to my shock and horror) for a misdemeanor. Because I've had previous "troubles" I was not let out on bail but taken to jail for three days. A kind judge released me on recognizance. A few days after I got out, I relapsed for a couple weeks, picked myself up and went to detox. I've been sober 64 days now and have been going to meetings almost every day. I have no desire to drink, feel well physically but admit a lot of apprehension today.

I guess I just wanted to get this out. I've been trying very hard to rebuild my devastated life and really want sobriety more than anything.

Please send some good karma my way, I could really use it.

John

Dee74 08-01-2013 03:48 AM

Best wishes John. I hope everything works out OK :)

D

Johno1967 08-01-2013 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by john44 (Post 4099174)

Please send some good karma my way, I could really use it.

John

Consider it done. The experience was an obstacle on your road to recovery. Sounds like you are back on the beam though.
One day at a time mate.

john44 08-01-2013 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Johno1967 (Post 4099187)
Consider it done. The experience was an obstacle on your road to recovery. Sounds like you are back on the beam though.
One day at a time mate.

Yeah, John. That's how I'm taking it, one day at a time. Drinking did absolutely nothing for me the last time. The magic in the bottle is gone.

I'm really amazed though at how calm I am. I used to have issues with anxiety and while this situation isn't exactly fun, I feel calm and able to take it on.

aasharon90 08-01-2013 04:13 AM

Thank goodness we have a program of
recovery to help rebuild ourselves and
our life after addiction tried to destroy
us.

Thank goodness for the fellowship within
recovery so that we never ever have to
go thru anything in life alone again.

Support, care, understanding, honesty
and acceptance withing recovery is
powerful and from that we can build a
strong healthy foundation for ourselves
to live upon each day we stay sober or clean.

We can't erase the past but we can learn
from our mistakes and experiences then
grow from them.

Sharing your own experiences, strengths
and hopes with others can possibly help
another avoid some of those misfortunes
and consequences before they happen. If
not, ur ESH can offer solutions to those
situations and hopefully avoid repeating
them again.

GroundhogDay 08-01-2013 05:08 AM

Good luck and best wishes today. Sounds like you are in the right frame of mind. Be prepared for anything.

heath480 08-01-2013 05:12 AM

Hope it goes as well as it can today john.

Great that you are sober for it.

john44 08-01-2013 01:52 PM

Dismissed

The whole thing was dismissed. It feels good to have this weight off my shoulders. Now to celebrate with a nice cup of AA coffee!

Dee74 08-01-2013 02:48 PM

I'm glad you got a break John :)

D

Hevyn 08-01-2013 02:54 PM

John - that's wonderful news! :) So happy for you.

I like what you said - "The magic in the bottle is gone." So true! I wish I hadn't spent so much time chasing that elusive feeling. It's never coming back for us. As for the anxiety - I was making mine worse, too. Who knew the thing we used to feel better was slowly destroying us? I'm glad there was a happy ending to the court appearance. :)

karate 08-01-2013 03:22 PM

We are here for ya ,And yes a bunch of us still paying for our drinking days .

heath480 08-01-2013 03:25 PM

Great news john.

Enjoy the coffee.

Johno1967 08-01-2013 03:53 PM

Good on you John. Way I see it: there will be "good" days and "bad" days. They come and go like the tides. Consider that "bad" days are there to help us grow and "good" days come to all. All sober days are a gift. The trick is finding how to treat highs and lows the same and be accepting of them all. To quote Kipling, they are both imposters after all and transitory.
Its the mind which lets us down, the way we perceive "good' and "bad". Us alcoholics can be a sensitive lot and can take things personally, I know I do. Bill W was right on the money when he said that the average alcoholic has been shown to have the emotional maturity of a child. Next time the cat pees on the carpet, someone backs into my car, I get cut off on the Highway or life gives me a hard time, I won't "twist off", I'll thank my HP and be grateful I don't need to use it as an excuse to drink.