Notices

A Cautionary tale

Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Cautionary tale

Hi All,

Not new--but new to me. A BBC documentary follows the lives of four stage 4 alcoholics. Well worth watching (10 parts-all on youtube). I myself have done many of the things that I saw on screen. It is heart wrenching to watch, but a true picture of the future of where drinking can take you/me -- any of us.

"Rain in my Heart"
Rain In My Heart (1 of 10) - YouTube
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Great documentary, though not always an easy watch. I may be confusing this with "Wet House," also a good documentary.

Medical science has little to offer alcoholics, beyond medical detox in the beginning and, later on, end-of-life care, which typically means pain management as internal organs shut down.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Blackcat11 View Post
Hi All,

Not new--but new to me. A BBC documentary follows the lives of four stage 4 alcoholics. Well worth watching (10 parts-all on youtube). I myself have done many of the things that I saw on screen. It is heart wrenching to watch, but a true picture of the future of where drinking can take you/me -- any of us.

"Rain in my Heart"
Rain In My Heart (1 of 10) - YouTube
That was a great documentary.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Great documentary. Scared the crap out of me!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the link. I'm watching it right now.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I saved a copy of this a long time ago and still was only able to watch part of it. It was just too disturbing but if you want an eye opener, watch it but just prepare yourself.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This documentary from National Geographic is just as disturbing and sad. When you watch him chug the vodka it is eerie.

Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube
Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Wow Sudz the story with ryan was a tough watch. I can relate It used to feel so good getting the drink in to remove the edge. it was a huge relief. Thankfully I was never as bad as him. But what a sad sad story. even his way of handling his medical issues was just like me. Tho sobering up I havent changed much in terms of handling medical issues. I think I just fear doctors.

That was a tough watch. People really have no idea how bad alcohol can be. and even those of us who got off easy in comparison to him people tend to take our situation lightly. Scolding us for our irresponsable behaivior instead of more compasion and understanding. All to often people think addiction is something we can easily just stop.

I remember before I quit smoking more people hammered me for that then my drinking And they would make it out like quiting was just so simple and why was I being so stupid and still smoking etc.. I used to get so angry at those folks. and now that I'm sober and I dont smoke etc.. anymore I still get really angry at the people who lack understanding that its not so simple to just put it down.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

By far the mosy eye popping documentary about poison.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-heart.html
Old 08-01-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
This documentary from National Geographic is just as disturbing and sad. When you watch him chug the vodka it is eerie.

Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube
This video scared the you know what out of me. We all want to think that we can progress and the worst that's going to happen is that we'll have to go to rehab.

Think again.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

the one rain in my heart the one guy didnt have a drink in 10 years and has liver problems. Stuff like that worries me 10 years from now am I going to be faced with some problem even tho i've been sober? Thats a scary thought.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
the one rain in my heart the one guy didnt have a drink in 10 years and has liver problems. Stuff like that worries me 10 years from now am I going to be faced with some problem even tho i've been sober? Thats a scary thought.
He was diagnosed with cirrhosis when he quit 10 years previously. If you don't have cirrhosis now it's highly doubtful that you would develop it if you stayed sober.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow. I just watched about half of this. I need a break now. It's a tough thing to watch. But it's a very strong reminder of why I must stay sober, and of how cunning, baffling, and powerful alcohol is. Thank you to the filmmaker and the participants of this documentary.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wink Re: A cautionary tale.

Great documentary, but very difficult to watch. Does bring back memories, though
Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here's another one. I'm curious what people think of the housing program in Seattle at the end.

National Geographic:-Drunk And Disorderly - YouTube
Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Deckard, I just finished watching the National Geographic Documentary and it was very interesting, thank you. As for the housing available in Seattle I have not had time to fully process but here are my initial thoughts. My first thought was that it was crazy and wrong. I don't think our taxes should be used for such a facility. As I listened to the stats my view swayed slightly. At the present moment I believe my only real problem is that people can live there indefinitely. I understand providing a stable environment but if someone moved in at 25 and remained a an alcoholic for his entire life could they live there until the age of 80? I think there should be some time limit. 3 years? 5 years? Heck, if I could get a deal like that I just might go back to drinking ;-)
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That was my feeling too, LuLu.

For anyone who does not want to watch the video, we are talking about a homeless housing program in Seattle in which the city takes homeless alcoholics, sets them up in apartments, and then gives them as much alcohol as they want!

The theory seems to be that they don't know what else to do with these individuals, so better to have them off the street...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EndGame

Yes, that's the same premise as Wet House, also on YouTube, in several parts.

Programs like those in Seattle are designed to protect active alcoholics from themselves, and to protect other people from what they do when they're drinking. In Wet House, the residents are also offered free medical care.

Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
That was my feeling too, LuLu.

For anyone who does not want to watch the video, we are talking about a homeless housing program in Seattle in which the city takes homeless alcoholics, sets them up in apartments, and then gives them as much alcohol as they want!

The theory seems to be that they don't know what else to do with these individuals, so better to have them off the street...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As I laid in bed not sleeping I was thinking more about the housing offered to the alcoholics. So, if I am mentally ill and homeless but not drinking I get to stay under the bridge? If I lost my job and my house but am not an alcoholic and the shelters are full my family and I get to sleep under the bridge? So many questions about who should benefit from the limited resources that are our tax dollars.