Notices

Sober Sundays

Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Sundays

Sundays used to be an anxious day for me. Because here in Chicago, the liquor stores don't open until 11am on Sundays - and by that time I was already jonesing for a drink. I remember the frustration I felt waking up and knowing I'd have to actually LEAVE THE HOUSE (gasp) and WAIT UNTIL 11am (double-gasp) to get my plastic gallon jug of the cheapest vodka available. Usually I'd make do by finding whatever I could to cobble together before then - some leftover wine from the night before, maybe. I'd try and call my relatives, thinking myself clever to call them during a moment of forced sobriety. Nobody would be the wiser to my problem.

Today I woke up early, and felt artistic and worked on a photo project hobby of mine. I went to the farmer's market in the park. Sat by a fountain. I watched a softball game. I took a stroll and watched local vendors set up for a festival. I stopped in a cafe, and listened to music. I went to my favorite bakery and got a chocolate-oatmeal cookie (for later, of course).

It's 11am now, and I've already accomplished more today than I would have in an entire weekend while on the juice. Which scenario sounds like the better way to live? Sure I'm still poor, I get frustrated, and I'm humbled by this disease. But taking some time out to be grateful is so important. Hope you all are enjoying your Sunday as well!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remember running out of beer at 11:59

Here 12 midnight is cutoff , wound up drinking old hot beer from behind pickup seat.

Good times -not
Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Awesome!

I miss wandering Chicago on a weekend morning. I definitely would rather put myself there than camped out a liquor store waiting only to go home and shut myself in and the world out.

Good reminder to stay mindful of all the small pleasures that come out of hiding when life's no longer consumed with consuming alcohol.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bit of AA speech listening this morning and a day of films on the sofa with the missus perfect.

Even with a fridge full of beer I'd always be scared I'd run out. Horrible how much it used to worry me
Old 07-28-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for the reminder bigsombrero. I remember rooting through the trash from the night before & gathering all the beer cans so I could pour the dregs out & stop the shakes. Half a glass of warm, flat beer. How desperate I was.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wrote a paper today. Made healthy choices food wise. Haven't left the apartment all day, but that's okay.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to love to chill out all day on Sunday and drink up to 15 beers. Today is day 124, and my wife and I took my 4 year old Blueberry picking. We then hit the market and made Blueberry muffins. Now watching TV with my wife, and happy the go to bed sober soon.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Thanks for the reminder bigsombrero. I remember rooting through the trash from the night before & gathering all the beer cans so I could pour the dregs out & stop the shakes. Half a glass of warm, flat beer. How desperate I was.
I kept all my bottles stashed under my bed in closets etc. Didn't want to throw them away just in case there was some left! I remember finding half a bottle and was jumping for joy. I understand desperate!