Notices

1 Year!!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Year!!

Wow I can't believe I have made it a whole year without a drink. Early days were tough and I still come here a lot and read all your posts. I was in and out of AA for almost 3 years trying to stop drinking which included 5 detoxes and a 4 month rehab... All of which I drank after.

I woke up after a week into another relapse, drinking cask wine from morning to night remembering the 'good old days' but the party was over and I had to surrender... I did 90 meetings in 90 days, got a sponsor and a home group and set off on my journey... I studied (fitness), i'm now a qualified pt but work in a different 'more stable' industry, so life is good.

It's been tough but I got here, the only thing i'm having trouble with is my social life... Or lack of it lol. I am a shy kind of nervous guy and I always have been and that's where alcohol REALLY worked as I used to be the life of the party and could talk to anyone. I had the huge ego / low self esteem, even my ex wife would always say I loved myself more than her and she did not trust me with other women but the opposite was true. I avoid just about all family bbq's and birthdays. Meeting women scares the crap out of me, I joined a dating site have a great profile and pics yet I cant' even get enough courage to call lol. I just can't socialize like a 'normal' person and I really want to. I even get nervous trying to hold conversations in aa . I'm 31 fit and healthy and I should be out meeting new people and enjoying life sober but I can't. I go to the gym, cycle and work and that's it, my weekends usually consist of nothing lol... Which is sometimes good.

Anyway i'd like to thank everyone here for helping me, I have read so many inspiring posts here...

Bring on year number 2...

Cheers
Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats and Happy Birthday!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year, that is awesome!

As your confidence builds (shy guy here who has been in the same boat as you socially), you will thrive off of your ability to exist without the help of drinking. I keep telling myself THAT is normal.

Toss
Old 07-27-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 1 year.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Shaun

D
Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

nice 1 Shaun boy
Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!

Have ya worked those steps?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats!

Try finding an activity where you are likely to meet single girls your age. Less pressure to engage in conversation that way. You can get to know someone in a non-dating scenario first. A church young adult group or volunteer work at a cat shelter are a couple of possibilities. Meetup groups too.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats! One year is HUGE
Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congratulations Shaun! You're an inspiration that we can do this!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats !
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

One year... that is amazing and a miracle. Keep on keeping on
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ShaunEm, 1 year? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

Congrats thats awesome!. I have a lot of the same exact social issues you do. In my second year i got a little bit better about it but honestly while i'm a little less on the edge in those situations i just avoid them because I feel like socializing with new people is a waste of my time. I get burned to often sick of making friends and loosing friends that I dont bother trying anymore. I'm learning to be happy alone without friends. But i've also manage to meet a few online friends and thats helped. Tho In the real world I honestly dont have any friends left.

My wife trys to get me to meet new people. I stick my neck out but it generally just doesnt work out for one reason or another the last good friend i had she actually sort of pushed the friendship it was great then it fell apart.

But I do think I socialize better i've come out of my shell more. going out to various places with the family is actually starting to be fun now. it wasnt fun ever for a very long time.

Point is year 2 you'll see some of that socializing stuff get easier etc.. I couldnt promise you tons of friends and that you'd be the life of the party but it wont be as difficult.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Congrats!

You spoke of alcohol helping you fit into social situations. One thing I always find ironic about alcohol for me was when I first starting drinking it seemed to help me get through social situations without seeming like the total freak I felt like but as the years went by and the alcohol took a bigger hold on me it turned on me and instead of helping me fit into social situations it turned me into the outsider or fool of the party because of the fact that I would drink to the point of blackouts and make a fool of myself. I would wake up feeling humiliated and ashamed, afraid to face the very people I so desperately wanted to fit in with. It became a vicious circle until I just decided it was easier to drink alone at least then I would not embarrass myself in front of anyone other than my children. It is ironic that the very thing that once helped me fit into social situations is the very thing that drove me into isolation.

Anyway, congrats on 1 year. That is a huge milestone.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your an inspiration to all of us. Congratulations man. Thats a milestone. Just awesome!!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Congratulations!

Have ya worked those steps?
Yeah I actually finished them all off tonight
Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your year.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Enjoying Recovery

Big congrats on 1 year. Take a step back and think about what an achievement that is
Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations ShaunEm! One year is awesome 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sober birthday.jpg (3.8 KB, 77 views)