Notices

What To Expect While Detoxing?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What To Expect While Detoxing?

Hello and thanks in advance.
I have tried to stop a few times but the DTs are so bad that I could not even function.
I have made an appointment to see my Dr. and get the necessary medication to help with the DTs.
I have many questions.

Here is a little history. I have been drinking for years with small stints of sobriety.
My drinking has gradually gotten worse. Now I am in-taking about an 18 pack plus a half pint of tequila every day. Sometimes more.
I walk up in a pool of sweat and shaking badly until I get some beers in me.
I am self employed and have been blowing off jobs because I have been feeling so poorly.
I used to be very active with many hobbies. Now I feel like I do not care about anything. Horrible suicidal thoughts, deep depression.

OK, enough of that.
What can I expect? How long do DTs last?
What are the meds like?
ANY input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back Animal

The DTs are actually a very specific kind of withdrawal and you'd know if you had them...but withdrawal can be dangerous in any event, so I'm really glad you're seeing your Dr.

The question of medication will lie with your Dr and their assessment of your condition and what you need.

Withdrawal varies from person to person but here's a thread of some experiences:

www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/138403-quitting-what-expect-what-we-did.html

I hope you'll get the help you need

D
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hi Animal,

I've been fortunately... lucky, rather... that my withdrawal's never progressed to delirium tremens. One of the symptoms as I understand is extreme mental confusion. So it's good that you're seeing a doctor now as for some once they reach a severe DT state it's hard to think rationally about their health.

I've taken one of the meds used to treat withdrawal before. Of course this is only my experience; I don't know what your dosage, medication or reaction might be different from my own so take this as a *possibility* only. They made me a little drowsy and space-y.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome back Animal

The DTs are actually a very specific kind of withdrawal and you'd know if you had them...but withdrawal can be dangerous in any event, so I'm really glad you're seeing your Dr.

The question of medication will lie with your Dr and their assessment of your condition and what you need.

Withdrawal varies from person to person but here's a thread of some experiences:

www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/138403-quitting-what-expect-what-we-did.html

I hope you'll get the help you need

D

Thank you good read. Just curious but why is that thread closed? It has such great input.

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Hi Animal,

I've been fortunately... lucky, rather... that my withdrawal's never progressed to delirium tremens. One of the symptoms as I understand is extreme mental confusion. So it's good that you're seeing a doctor now as for some once they reach a severe DT state it's hard to think rationally about their health.

I've taken one of the meds used to treat withdrawal before. Of course this is only my experience; I don't know what your dosage, medication or reaction might be different from my own so take this as a *possibility* only. They made me a little drowsy and space-y.
I appreciate the input. Well, I guess I will find out tomorrow..

Is "cold turkey" just a bad idea all together?
Seems like tapering is a safe route to go however I do not think I can do that.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you good read. Just curious but why is that thread closed? It has such great input.
I think Carol was going for a representative sample that would help folks, but not become a huge long thread that would go on for pages and pages..

I've tried both - I think both cold turkey and tapering have their dangers and pitfalls - cold turkey got me into some serious health difficulties and tapering never worked, I just drank the lot and got some more....

it's best to get some professional medical input.

D
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Understood. Thanks for linking me.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome (back) Animal!

I can relate to a lot of what you said.... the depression, lack of interest, anxiety.... It was a miserable way to live and only got worse over time.

Good for you for going to see your doctor. Be sure to be honest about the amount you drink so that they can give you the right help.

Glad you're here!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

GET SOME MEDCINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not ment hateful ,you need it .

Thats too much consumption to just gut it out .
Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I will keep you posted.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

After a three-year relapse, I needed a medical detox in a hospital. I could no longer function. Those were the best five days I'd had in the three years leading up to them.

Being knocked out most of the time, and actually getting real sleep was just what I needed. And I ate. I even asked to stay longer (my thinking was extremely foggy, and I had difficulty getting up from a chair and walking), but city hospitals are generally eager to discharge people from detox units.

I always get anxious when I read/hear about people attempting do detox on their own. There is simply no good way to predict what will happen to any particular individual during detox.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, I got 7 weeks under my belt tomorrow.
They gave me Valium for the first 5 days and Terazodone to sleep (didn't help my sleep at all).
I pretty much fired my first two therapists. I knew within minutes that I was not compatible with them. The one I have now is great.
I have yet to go to an AA meeting. I have a good support system with my friends, family and hobbies. I have kept myself very busy with hobbies. I have built or rebuilt 4 bicycles and have gotten back into racing large scale RC cars. Been doing allot of beach riding.
I am not apposed to AA. I am sure one day I will go but thus far I have been able to alleviate my anxiety in different ways. Just coming here to read helps allot.
Thank goodness for Kaiser insurance.

Thanks to you all.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats Animal!!!!