Notices

This sucks! Now what to do??!!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This sucks! Now what to do??!!

Doctor called and cancelled my appt today. I was trying to get meds for withdrawal and he said he will not prescribe them prior to me going through withdrawal. He said if my symptoms get bad, to go to ER. Now what??!!! I was planning on quitting today. Don't know what to do! No health insurance either.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Maybe call another doctor? That sucks. I know a lot of us have quit without meds, but quitting without some sort of medical supervision is scary stuff.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea if your going to quit Cold Turkey, go to a detox facility.
Try another Dr if you can, but I know In Canada they want to get to know you a bit before they prescribe anything.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tried calling different doctors. None of them will prescribe anything PRIOR to going through withdrawal. I am SOOO scared what tonight may bring! Doctor knows my history. I have drank heavily daily for 13 years. So I don't understand why he wouldn't prescribe benzos to prevent a seizure or a trip to ER knowing I don't have health insurance.

Last edited by Eleni58; 07-26-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well go to the Dr when you are going through withdrawal so they can actually see you are having a tough time. I have done that a bunch of times too.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Call another Doctor regardless. I consider that reckless medical practicing and they do not deserve your business.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your doc knows you and your history. If he doens't think you need benzos trust him. Many of us have quit cold turkey with no drugs or even medical consultation. I'm not saying people should quit without seeing their doc of course just saying many people do quit cold turkey. you've tapered down to just 1 drink.

Docs are very reluctant to prescribe benzos to alcoholics as so highly addictive.It's not so easy just to stop taking them.They're also incredibly dangerous if taken with drink. Trust your doc. Don't let your AV use the fact that you've not got any benzos as a reason to keep on drinking
Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

Are you sure the ER can turn you away if you don't have health insurance? Where I live they cannot....especially if a person is having heart issues during withdrawals. The ER was extremely helpful to me. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most ERs can't and won't turn you away if you don't have health insurance. Go to the ER.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I may be chiming in late on this, but to echo what others have said, go to ER. If you need a ride, call the paramedics. They will hook you up with fluids if you are dehydrated, and as an extra benefit, you will get into a bed faster than jonesing in the waiting room.

Your life is at stake when you are detoxing. The bills can be paid later.

Oh, just another thought; in some states if you apply for the state healthcare and qualify, they will cover some back medical payments. Ask your social worker while you are at the hospital. Good luck. Most of us have been there and gotten the Tshirt.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went into the ER and told them I needed to detoxed from alcohol and they took me right in. That was 7+months ago and I have been sober ever since. The hospital bills were expensive but the best money I ever spent.