Notices

This is Getting Old...

Old 05-23-2004, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is Getting Old...

Twice now I've been unable to post on threads that I didn't feel were abusive or over the line. Once I acually did post but had it removed because it was supposedly off topic. And both threads are now closed.

We are adults, presumably, and when I start calling your mother names then I should be kicked the hell out of here. But when we, all of us, are haveing discussions heated or not, and the thread takes an unexpected turn in a different direction, I would like the mods to give us some leeway and leave the thread alone. Someone is pulling the trigger to fast IMO.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

that would be me this time niner, sorry about that, I'll open it back up.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many thanks Jay. Welcome back
Old 05-24-2004, 01:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Ninerfan,

What you didn't see was the post by the original thread starter that was complaining about the turn the thread was taking. I removed that post too. I copied your post for you and sent it to you and encouraged you to start your own thread. When you start your own thread it can take any turn you want it to.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Jay;
Glad to see you are still with us!
Shalom!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

MG, I saw the post that was complaining about the topic straying but sometimes that is how the conversation goes. Soemone says something and it is like a bomb going off. It takes us in a different direction for a while. I think, cant prove it, but I think those threads would have righted themselves. I will just repeat my request that the mods and administrators give us some leeway and allow us to express ourselves. I appreciate all the work that you do.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I will just repeat my request that the mods and administrators give us some leeway and allow us to express ourselves
Please allow me the liberty of expressing myself.

If Jon didn't have 51% of the vote around here this forum would disappear off the face of the earth.

To most of us it's like:

Fingernails on a chalkboard.
A cricket in the house when you're trying to sleep.
A dripping water faucet.
Someone snoring next to you in bed.
A paper cut.

etc..etc..etc..

A handful of members love to debate and a whole lot of us hate it. Most of us stay far away from this forum. I only took a look because it was brought to my attention.

You are all getting more leeway than you will ever know. It might be something that you all enjoy, but there are many of us who don't enjoy it at all. Hate would be a good word to use here.

This is not a reflection of who any of YOU are or how much you are liked. It's the constant debating that is disliked by many.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I agree - I am now removing myself from this forum and going to the "unofficial" alcoholics anonymous forum. I browsed those posts and don't see all this debating but actual support, hope, and courage.

Kathi
Old 05-24-2004, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

what Morning Glory said.

It gets old real fast.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont know....I think some debate is healthy. I also think some of it is ego. I'm right and your're wrong. That is bad and probably what you 'hate.' But wouldn't it be a boring world if we all agreed on everything. As long as the dialogue is informing and not bashing then I say let it happen. Regards
Old 05-24-2004, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Extremity

I believe that the Moderators have been working reasonably and responsably here.

Part of the discipline that none care for but some realize as necessary is applying effort in staying focused. This is what "normal" adults appear to do most of the time. An ideal we can all aspire to when we become willing to do so.

There is a difference between debate and discussion and there are those that will argue with anything, including whether or not they are arguing!

Since many come here as a non-committal way to explore sobriety as a possibility, I feel that keeping the posts here general, short and non- confrontational could be more advantagous for them and us.

Maybe another forum under the title "Debating Society" would be more appropriate.

Most newcomers stumbling here and seeing such lengthy, one-upman, arguments will head elsewhere. Many will see this and say "screw it, I need a drink."

I support the moderators efforts here.
Yeah MoGlo, Jon, Jaywalk.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

What's the topic of this thread!
Old 05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

LOL Dan.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The topic is...Freedom of Expression

With due respect Moqgua, if the newcomer comes to this board and doesn't like what he/she sees then they can go to another forum better suited to their non-commital needs. How many forums are on this website? Plenty. I have seen people on other forums that never or rarely come here. That is there choice. Posting here is my choice. Sometimes I like to debate, sometimes I like to argue, shoot me. If Jon puts up another forum called 'The Debating Society' the other forums would probably be empty.

I submit that debate is healthy and necessary for good mental health. It also allows us to engage, civilly hopefully, others with opposite opinions on any number of issues. And we learn how to debate/argue within accepted norms of civility. We cannot pretend that diferences dont exist and the newcomer should not think that we all think and act alike. That is not reality.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Ninerfan
If Jon puts up another forum called 'The Debating Society' the other forums would probably be empty.
With respect Niner,
Old 05-24-2004, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

if the newcomer comes to this board and doesn't like what he/she sees then they can go to another forum better suited to their non-commital needs
Oh no. Wrong answer.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Extremity

Originally Posted by DangerousDan

What's the topic of this thread!
Topic? We dohn neeed noh stinkin' topic!

Seriously - new thread!

Thanks niner for proving my point!

Old 05-24-2004, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dan

outta 'ere...
Old 05-24-2004, 04:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory
Oh no. Wrong answer.
This is the attitude that I'm talking about. MG there are no wrong answers, unless I'm totally abusive, there may be misinformed or bad answers but if this is as far as you read then you should read the rest of the post.

If you are going to say my answer was wrong then why not Dans. He said my answer was BS. I have not used that language but because he agrees with your opinion, you are letting him get away with it.

And Mogqua, seriously, no new thread. You have your opinions and because MG agrees with them you are getting a pass. But what if you say something that the mods don't like and they delete your post? Will you be so quick to accept their decision? Think before you speak.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dan

Niner
With respect again, I called your claim about boards being deserted BS.
MG responded to something else.