Notices

How to make new friends?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I was going to suggest volunteering and book clubs, but it's already been suggested, I see Good luck getting something going!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
tell me why does everyone that goes to aa, think its the only way to get sober.

They donít. Iím in AA and I do not believe this. There are also lots of AA folks on this site who regularly state that AA is not the only way. Hence the premise of your question is false. Perhaps if you are on this site longer, or become more familiar with AA, this will become apparent to you.

News flashÖ. The agnostic groups mentioned in the link from the above post are alive and well and calling themselves AA groups! In fact there seem to be 5 different agnostic AA groups presently in Toronto. Here is more info if you are in the Toronto area. Note that two of the meetings are in a church. GTA Agnostic AA Meetings - AA Toronto Agnostics

Letís be fair. There are hundreds if not thousands of agnostic groups in AA.

Itís been my experience that agnostics and atheists are very well tolerated in AA. If anything, the converse generally seems to be true. Several posts in this thread being good examples of that.

give me some uk groups?? im no where near toronto
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
and I can be yours even if we are different

Do you mean you are still drinking? I am not sure what you mean here.

no i dont mean im still drinking
Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Worldwide Agnostic A.A. Meetings
Old 07-24-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

cheers but none near me, york uk ??
Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sorry I'm on the other side of the globe. That's the best I can do........have you considered starting one? All it takes is 2 people.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I like this preamble on that site: Agnostic AA Meetings in New York City - Agnostic Preamble

Wish there were more meetings in my state. None are close enough to me.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Lol, there really are some fab ideas on here, somewhere! I am going to make a list and be all organised about it :o

Ooh Food Bank. I tried that too but my local one had too many volunteers and not enough people needing help. That's good in a way!

As for AA, I went, never went again and found sobriety in my own way. People are different. I needed a different kind of help and was lucky enough to find it.

And discuss away, it doesn't bother me. I like watching a bit of conflict

And it's 5.30am now. You know if I got a decent night's sleep it'd be easier to make friends! I'm hot and my tummy hurts. Where's that grumpy ouija board when you need it?!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
SR Fan

This started out with a great question/topic. Let's be helpful and not ruin it with another tit for tat about AA. Thanks. I'm removing some posts, but next time I'll shut it down.

SR Recovery Rule 4: No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and donít belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I can really relate. I isolated for 20 years as my drinking progressed and my social circle dwindled to about 5 people, mostly family.

Someone else suggested meetup.com. I did that and find something to do once a week or so through that. Mostly I do hiking events but there are all sorts of meetups. They are nice because many of the people don't know anyone so i'm not the only one who feels like a stranger.

One nice thing about the hiking meetups is that drinking (alcohol) never comes up.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It's already been suggested, but perhaps joining a group or taking a class. I don't know if there are any meditation groups in your town - they are often agnostic - or you can separate the 'god stuff' pretty easily so to speak if there is 'god stuff' in there.

I met some great friends by taking a dance class, not something that was on my list of interests but totally different. You never know until you try something whether you will like it or not!