Notices

Most BEERS You've drank in one day?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Most BEERS You've drank in one day?

This may sound like an odd question to post on this site but I stopped drinking a week ago and I just want to know from other beer drinking alcoholics how high their problems got in terms of amounts of beer consumed in one day, what is the most beers you've drank in one day (MEASURE IN ENGLISH IMPERIAL PINTS-568ml just so I can understand) I just want to compare how bad my problem got with other people just to see if I wasn't the only one drinking such large quantities - it might give me a bit of relief. Thanks everyone
Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine wont be in pints ,But in 12 oz cans ,guess the most i drank in a day might have been a 30 pack .
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also what strength beer ABV?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnxiousAspie View Post
Also what strength beer ABV?

The day i drank about 30 ,it was keystone light ,i think they are 4% alochol .

Started about 9 am on the tractor ,then finished up with friends eating at about midnight .

12 beers a day was pretty common for me .

My downward spiral was when i started on liquor ,on beer i was able to moderate ,But liquor its way too easy to drink way too much too fast .

I once won a bet drinking 6 shots in a glass in 1 drink .
Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

What's the point in comparing? Other than the ' mines bigger than yours' boasting I see no benefit in making comparisons. How do beer drinkers compare to wine/spirit drinkers?? Wtf does it matter? Either you have a problem with alcohol of not, and unless you were drinking half a pint of lager shandy I would say you do, so comparisons are of no benefit what so ever. How much of an alcoholic am I? Not the sleeping in the gutter but not the one sherry at Christmas, somewhere in between
Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
What's the point in comparing? Other than the ' mines bigger than yours' boasting I see no benefit in making comparisons. How do beer drinkers compare to wine/spirit drinkers?? Wtf does it matter? Either you have a problem with alcohol of not, and unless you were drinking half a pint of lager shandy I would say you do, so comparisons are of no benefit what so ever. How much of an alcoholic am I? Not the sleeping in the gutter but not the one sherry at Christmas, somewhere in between
I really really didn't ask this question to boast. I find comparisons comforting because it's good to know that I'm not the only one and there's people that were as bad as me. It's good to alleviate some loneliness when you're a very lonely person. I am an alcoholic but I hate alcohol so the last thing I would want to do is boast about it or compete.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with Tootsl1. This is not only pointless but destructive.

I actually got called on this by an old timer at an AA meeting because I used to have a drunkalog talking about amongst other things, how much I drank. The old timer told me that a guy drinking X beers a day (about a 3rd of what I did) and getting in trouble at home or work or health-wise, has just as much of a problem as me. He went on to say that they guy may "go back out there" after hearing how much I drank, coming to the conclusion that he didn't have that big of a problem.

There is ALWAYS going to be someone who drank more than you. When you find them, will that give you permission to keep on drinking?

Bottom line this forum is for those that want to attain or maintain sobriety. I do not feel this thread address either goal. JMHO.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess some people used consumption to get a gage on their own problem ,and a compare of their problem .

Its about how much the indvidual uses and is it a problem for them .
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's answers like the previous ones that made me leave this forum several years ago. I don't understand why people can't just support each other but instead have to reply with a sarcastic, unsupportive answer. Maybe it's just comforting to haves comparison. Obviously a new member with a simple question and belittled immediately by others. Not cool. Sorry I do not have an answer for you as beer was not my drink of choice. I too tend to compare to others to make me feel not so alone in my disease. I see nothing wrong with your question. Keep on keeping.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

I generally don't comment if I've nothing to add to the conversation, or if I can't identify with the OP. Or if the OP seems to be interested in provoking negativity.

Sounds to me as though the OP is just feeling his way around in early sobriety. Beer wasn't my drink of choice. But like everything else, I'd drink as much as I could until the inevitable blackouts. It was all the same to me, and always ended in tears.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Anxious and indenial, I have been a long time supportive member of SR, and I am not looking to put down new members, or Anxious, suggest that you WOULD be comparing as a boast. What I was trying and obviously failing to get across was that IMHO comparisons do not help. I feel it would be more productive to, say ask beer drinkers what they now drink instead, or perhaps how they got away from the situation of downing pints night after night. I am sensitive to this because for a long time I compared my drinking to that of my exH, and as long as it wasn't vodka for breakfast or 3 day DTs I wasn't a drunk. WRONG!!!
Anxious, why not forget about your consumption for now, and just come visit the year and under thread, or the class of July 2013 and meet people going through the same issues you are with regards to early recovery and will support you to move along in your sobriety.
I genuinely wish you well, and look forward to seeing you around.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

At some point NO AMOUNT of beer would satisfy my cravings. I had to drink vodka or something equally as potent. Then it was 1 - 3 liters per day.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The question struck me as perhaps an unconscious way of glorifying the amount he drank. Personally I don't care as what ever the amount, he's here I hope to stop drinking alcohol. I know people who were not able to handle a couple beers and have been sober for years, the mileage will vary. BE WELL
Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

No harm in asking IMHO.

Of course you weren't boasting, AnxiousAspie. I didn't see where you tell us how many pints you drank and how much ABV in each. Not that it concerns me.

I mostly drank indoors and I liked 500ml cans of Stella Artois (5.2% ABV); at least 4 a day. But I didn't count them and I sometimes drank whiskey too. So, I guess there's no comparison; except that we both felt the need to stop.

Well done for your sober week. I hope this one stays sober as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get you want to know where you fit in on the scale

The thing is...I drank more than others and not as much as some.

Some of the people I drank less than are still going about their lives, supremely unworried about their drinking...

while some who drank less than I did have died from that drinking.

It's really not how much we drink, but how it affects us when we do, IMO, aspie.

D
Old 07-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

More than was healthy for me, never enough to accomplish what I wanted it to do.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I remember the Friday of the beginning of a four day weekend. I somehow managed to finish a 30 pack of Coors Light in a few hours, and then went to the liquour store for more after that in the same day. Thats simply abnormal.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ive drank over a thirty pack 12oz on a couple occasions. I actually wanted to go get more when I was done. I drank over 40 units of alchol once in college during a hazing ritual and couldn't open the door to my dorm I was spinning so bad
Old 07-20-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi AnxiousAspie,

It wasn't really how much I drank but how I drank when I did. If I drank less than what I felt was my fill I was resentful. What was my fill? Whatever it took me to be so lambasted I would black out and go to bed. On one day that might be 6 12 oz beers. On another maybe 13 or 14 of the same. Depended on what I had to eat that day etc.

The bigger reason why I responded to this post is this. I have a feeling why some responded to you in the manner that they did. If I'm right your question immediately brought this thought to mind for us

"This person is trying to justify drinking by comparing how much with other people so that then can say "See, I really don't have a problem, there are others that are far worse off than me!""

Do you know why we assumed that? Because we've been there. Where you've been sober for a week (which is a great achievement) you're at a very fragile point. Comparing intake isn't going to help. You might be curious and I do understand that but the important fact is this. You quit for a reason and you came here for a reason. That's the focus.

I'm glad that you made the decision to come here.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You know you had a problem when you can't answer that question because you were too hammered on those days to count