Notices

Most BEERS You've drank in one day?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
You know you had a problem when you can't answer that question because you were too hammered on those days to count
True.
I tried to drink a case of quarts one time, back in high school days.
I drank 11 but don't really know if I finished the last one.

Ah, the life.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Did I win?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank almost 50,000 beers in one long sitting. Then two years ago I decided to stand up.

Congratulations on getting through that first week. It's a bitch! If you don't start again then you don't have to do that again.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

2 many, actually 1 more than I should have, the 1st one.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I drink straight kegs of beer.

Edit, actually i think that might be a true statement
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post

Did I win?
No. I do think that you are making an assumption about the op's intention to come up with that question. You're not alone, many have done so in this thread and many have done it in my threads as well. For some, analyzing and quantifying is a dark road, for others, it is illuminating.

I'm one of the latter and nothing is gained by my projecting an unhealthy reason for asking onto the original poster.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legna View Post
No. I do think that you are making an assumption about the op's intention to come up with that question. You're not alone, many have done so in this thread and many have done it in my threads as well. For some, analyzing and quantifying is a dark road, for others, it is illuminating.

I'm one of the latter and nothing is gained by my projecting an unhealthy reason for asking onto the original poster.
I stand corrected, but I can't edit my original post.

Let me simply say that if it causes you a problem it's too much. It really doesn't matter to me.

Some people do heroin for years, some OD the first time they try it.
By the time we end up here, many of us have been through a hell that we never dreamt, and comparing, is not helpful.

If it is useful to you, best wishes.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Matt M

I'm torn a bit on this one because I think I know what the thread starter means.

In my opinion, an alcoholic is someone who has alcohol controlling part of their life and the thought of when, where and how they will get the next drink is almost always there.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, someone who drinks three bottles of wine a week is not an alcoholic.
I think an alcoholic is someone who basically needs alcohol every single day to feel ok and get through each day.

Going out every Friday/Saturday night and getting drunk doesn't make someone an alcoholic. That's what most people I know under 35 seem to do and they're certainly not anywhere near the stage I was at.

That's my definition of it, I know people have their own, but that's mine.

As for the original question, my problems really started when I heavily drank spirits.
If I'd have just stuck with beer or cider I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have ended up in hospital. But at my worst I could easily drink a bottle of vodka a day for weeks on end.
That's not some kind of boast, that's fact.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I was a beer drinker. I fooled myself for many years that I wan't an alcoholic because I "only" drank beer. An average weeknight for me was 12-18 beers (12 oz./5%), sometimes more, hardly ever less. On Saturday and Sunday I could drink all day, so those days averaged 24-36. The most I ever remember drinking in a day was about 40. I used to boast about how much I could drink and my bar-owner friend says I was the biggest beer-drinker he'd ever seen in 35 years of bartending!

The point of all of this is, after nearly 30 years, I've quit for good. If I can do it, you can do it too.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

1 is too many 12 are not enough .-Moe Bandy
Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I have no idea. Hundreds upon hundreds of times I have drank and not counted. Just kept drinking.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi anxiousaspie, I'm curious (because of your screen name ) if you have aspergers? If so, then others may not understand that it is probably important for you to compare to get some sort of handle on where you are with things.

I probably drank 10-12 beers a day, and I'm not a very big person. The amount was really less important than the fact that I worked up to that. It was alarming how my tolerance increased. You might be finding that too.

I'm glad you decided to quit. Personally, I don't think any amount of alcohol is beneficial to anyone.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I would top out around 20 beers. They would fill me up to much so I switched to booze. 26er would be enough to put me at the level I wouldn't remember anything and would be "fall down".
Very sad state of affairs.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Those early days--months, really--of getting sober involved a lot of questioning. I wondered if I fit in, if I was "too far" gone to deserve sobriety, if I could be helped, and sometimes whether I had reached bottom and had a few more drinking years left. If I chose, I could have "compared out" of recovery by focusing on how I was not as bad off as some others, but I was encouraged by people around me to "compare in." I am glad I did. On some days I was so horrendously ashamed of myself that I couldn't imagine that I had any redeeming value. It is true, as some others have mentioned, that it really doesn't matter how my intake compared to otheers, but it took a while to understand that.
I liken early to sobriety to adolescence. You know, when you're questioning yourself, when you are trying to fingure out who you are, how you fit in, and who are your role models?
For the record, I did not drink during the week (usually) or during daylight hours, but I am a full-fledged, card carrying alcoholic nonetheless. By the end I was a fan of cheap vodka, and I consumed 1/2-gallon from Friday night until Sunday night. Some have called me a light-weight, while others were amazed by my tolerance.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by karate View Post
1 is too many 12 are not enough .-Moe Bandy
Lol, I misread the guy's name as More Brandy, which is apt, I guess.

I hadn't thought about how the OP potentially having Aspergers might explain why it's important for them to ask the question, so thanks for that soberlicious. I'll answer the question after all.

I wasn't a big beer drinker so I'll just tell you that the most units I drank in a day was 25. To give you a sense of scale, I'm female so, according to UK guidelines, the most units I should drink in a whole week is 21.

Similar to what soberlicious said, the most telling thing about that is that I'd gotten to a point where I could drink more than a week's allowance in one day and not die. It was a dark, dark place to be. Alcoholism is a progressive disease; I'm glad you've decided to quit now AnxiousAspie.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

When I was a drinker I hated when people counted my drinks. Usually it was people that loved me.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Us alcoholics are a funny bunch. We over analyze and argue a simple question such as how much did you drink!... haha.o man.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Us alcoholics are a funny bunch. We over analyze and argue a simple question such as how much did you drink!... haha.o man.
Now, what exactly do you mean by that?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Matt M

I hate it when doctors how much you normally drink in a week, it's such a pointless question.
I can't remember what I had for dinner 3 days ago, let alone how much I drank.
So with questions like that you end up either exxagerating the amount or saying a lot less than you actually drink.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yeah, I get it. I always wanted to know what other people drank too. It's such a lonely place to be you are curious to know everything about their experience.

Although of course I was also wanting to see people who were worse than me. I think that's natural in the early stages.

I don't even think about it any more which is nice, and I hope somewhat reassuring to people x