Notices

I have a problem with using alcohol to wake up.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a problem with using alcohol to wake up.

I get such a "high" off alcohol I know no matter how tired I am after working 12 hour days when I am falling asleep on the couch at 7pm it picks me up. Better than coffee. Better than 10 cups of coffee. I am not talking a ton of alcohol. One beer and I am feeling human. Why is this?

I do not use it in the mornings and never have. One beer = ten cups of coffee for me and I know its a problem. I just want to know why just one wakes me up?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your reaction to alcohol is not normal. Alcohol is a depressant. I used to be that way with alcohol, but my consumption got out of control.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to do that too - I believe its because I was physically addicted to the stuff, BBE.

Not only may it soon take two beers (or more) but the longer you kick start yourself that way day after day the harder it's going to be to come off it, IMO.

D
Old 07-20-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, the times I've had where I've needed a drink to wake me up a bit, it's been because my body was physically dependant and only felt 'normal' once I'd had a drink. The tiredness was a sign of withdrawal for me. The old vicious cycle!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What's strange is I haven't drank for a month. Tonight I was downing cups of coffee. I had probably 10 cups in me and couldn't stay awake and had work to do at home. One beer and I was so wide awake it was unreal. Like sleeping 10 hours. The brain is a messed up thing isn't it? (I wouldn't recommend this ever)
Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep the brain is a bit complex for sure. What made you think of a beer to keep you awake though after a month of not drinking?

I don't get on with coffee very well, I call that the hard stuff lol. I'll occasionally have one in the morning but too much makes me sleepy. I think it's because the caffeine affects my blood sugar levels (I might be talking nonsense here!) But I found when I was working and drinking coffee all day, I was SO tired it was like a constant of peaks and troughs, drink coffee then crash... that kind of thing.

Sorry I'm probably making no sense!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to get energy from beer ,That phase lasted a couple years .

Just dont drink every day ,or at least have 3 days a week not drinking ,And your chances of being dependant on alochol are reduced .

Unlike many here ,I dont totally abstain from drinking ,I do on average consume a 6 pack of beer a week .

Im a binge drinker ,or i was ,then it progressed to a big problem .

I did find when i solved ,with help ,my problems ,the need to escape is not necessary .
Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Same thing here. When drinking it was not uncommon for me to be awake at 2 3 4 in the morning. Now its rare if I am awake at 12.

It is fake energy. And you pay a high price for it in the long run.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

I was just reading about this actually! Can't remember where, but it was a paper talking about how alcoholics build up a tolerance to the depressive effects of alcohol but not to the energizing effects. So for most people it's a mix of both, for us it's pure energy.

It has to do with the way the body burns energy from alcohol. Our dependence has gotten our body to be extra efficient at it.

In any event, they say that the recovery from dependence can take many months, so I'd guess that's why it was still the case even after a month. Your body still has its alcohol-burning engines primed up and ready to go.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
One beer and I am feeling human. Why is this?
That is how the DT's start out.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

aren't you prone to seizures and taking anti-seizure meds?

I cannot think that mixing them with booze is helpful to your epilepsy. nor is 10 cups of coffee in the evening.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had the same reaction towards the end of my drinking (and thought it odd at the time, too).

It could be your body is still trying to heal. When I got sober, I was tired most of the time and it lasted for a while. Everyone's different, of course, but it took about 4 months for me to start feeling some energy again.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol gave me energy too. That energy boost was one of many signs that alcohol and I don't have a normal relationship.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Same thing here. When drinking it was not uncommon for me to be awake at 2 3 4 in the morning. Now its rare if I am awake at 12.

It is fake energy. And you pay a high price for it in the long run.
I definitely agree.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I was just reading about this actually! Can't remember where, but it was a paper talking about how alcoholics build up a tolerance to the depressive effects of alcohol but not to the energizing effects. So for most people it's a mix of both, for us it's pure energy.

It has to do with the way the body burns energy from alcohol. Our dependence has gotten our body to be extra efficient at it.

In any event, they say that the recovery from dependence can take many months, so I'd guess that's why it was still the case even after a month. Your body still has its alcohol-burning engines primed up and ready to go.
If you can find that article or paper and provide a link to it that'd be great.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am taking anti-seizure meds. That is why I am on a forum like this to stop drinking. I have never had a seizure from caffeine. My major triggers are stress, MSG like in chinese food, and staying up all night crying. The brain is a strange thing. I had a seizure every month while pregnant and certainly never touched alcohol then.