Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Why NA beer and "mocktails" may not be a good idea

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This came up in another thread. FYI.

The Dangers of Non-Alcoholic Beer

"Both alcohol and the anticipation of alcohol may raise levels of a brain chemical called dopamine, which plays a role in feelings of elation and pleasure, according to the investigators. The researchers found increases in dopamine in the rats' brains before and after smelling these "alcohol-related cues." One visitor to our Forum said her family member seemed to develop the same attitudes and behavior while drinking NA Beer as he used to do when he was drinking the real stuff. This finding could help explain that phenomenon."
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NA beer has alcohol in it; that's why I can't drink it.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Who would want to drink N A beer? That's like going to a theme park and not ride any rides
Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drink n/a beer ocassionally...and virgin strawberry margaritas. I also drink diet coke, club soda and lime, ice tea, coffee,..and I love love love shirley temples..lol..make them at home. I was a wino..and not really a beer drinker but did enjoy some on occasion. I don't think I ever got drunk on beer though cuz I got full to fast..wine was quicker and I could drink it to black out without ever feeling full. When I have an NA beer now it's usually mixed with lime cordial. I like it. I really don't stress about it at ALL. If I wanted to get drunk it certainly wouldn't be beer that I ran to...nope, nope.

My sobriety is all about repairing the brain damage I incurred ..and the life I wasted. I have no desire to drink. Yes, there have been moments where I wanted to "escape" my anxiety or mood...and in that anxiety I certainly didn't grab for an NA beer thinking it would help somehow. I wanted a glass of wine..stat (incidently I don't drink NA wine) I dunno..to each their own. I know most are against it. I'm not. Whatever.