Notices

Paws and a slip

Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Paws and a slip

I found this:
PAWS symptoms reach a peak from three to six months after we get clean. Any use of drugs or alcohol, even in small quantities or for a short time, will effectively eliminate any improvement gained over that time, as it will keep the brain from healing. There are a variety of symptoms. Not everyone will experience all of them. Here are some of the main ones

I feel it rolling in again. Starts with a little anger and a little fog. I quit on feb 10th but managed to get down about a third of a pint the end of April. I guess it really did set myself back because this is ahead of schedule. Not looking forward to this but last time it was over I got back some of my capabilities.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like the link I know...if it is, there are some great suggestions for dealing with and minimising the effects of PAWs later in that link -

PAWS | Digital Dharma

look for 'Stabilizing our episodes of PAWS'

D
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I definitely experienced a lot of PAWS symptoms and it was a relief to find out that many people go through the same thing.

Fingers crossed, maybe it won't be quite as bad for you this time around. A couple things I noticed that made a difference (and the article Dee posted probably talks about these) were: good nutrition (vitamin Bs, too), and keeping the stress level as low as possible.

Hang in there (one day at a time)!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I definitely experienced a lot of PAWS symptoms and it was a relief to find out that many people go through the same thing.

Fingers crossed, maybe it won't be quite as bad for you this time around. A couple things I noticed that made a difference (and the article Dee posted probably talks about these) were: good nutrition (vitamin Bs, too), and keeping the stress level as low as possible.

Hang in there (one day at a time)!
Stress is a major trigger, especially since, for many of us, alcohol was our solution to managing stress. (Yeah, I know, NEWS FLASH!!! )

When I awoke from my alcoholic stupor, boy was I surprised to find that stress was lurking around every corner. Or, rather, stress was what the world was, and it was I who was doing the lurking.

It took me a long time to learn that life is a petri dish for stress; that being alive means stress; that having relationships, working and playing means stress; that change, even change for the better, means stress. How could I know? I was drunk or hungover most of the time. The harder I fought against what now seems like something so very obvious to me, the less prepared I was to live a better life.

I learned that the longer I run away from whatever it is that I imagine is chasing me, the less capable I am in managing my silent assassins.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Or, rather, stress was what the world was, and it was I who was doing the lurking.
I can totally relate!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me dealing with life and learning how to deal with stress and anger were very effective in not needing to be drunk .

Best book i read on stress -" How to stop worrying ,and start living "

"How to be happy no matter what "

Anger busting 101 ,by Hightower ,Is great for anger .