Notices

Is this a bad idea?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this a bad idea?

In about a week from now one of my good friends from college is getting married. I want to go but am also thinking maybe a wedding reception is a bad idea for someone who has been sober only about two and a half months. I am pretty confident I wouldn't drink because my sobriety is very important to me but also thinking I won't have any fun at the reception sober. What do you all think?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

PhaseTwo, someone who has been sober only about two and a half months? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Sooner or later your gonna have to get back out in the real world, so if you go prepare yourself for the wedding. You can enjoy yourself and have fun without drinking. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

Funny you should ask....I had to attend a wedding of some very dear friends when I was only a couple months sober. There was no way I couldn't go. I was quite nervous about the event, but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be. I kept a glass of tonic or diet coke in my hand at all times and I actually had a very nice time. It was great to remember all the conversations I had with people.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you have concerns its a good idea to listen to those concerns.

Although Michaels right and we have to venture out into the world again sometime, it make sense to me to do that when we feel secure, and not before.

Why not just go to the wedding and cry off the reception?

D
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

check yer motives and if ya go, mark your glass so ya don't grab someone elses and have an escape route.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a mantra for you "REMEMBER THE HANGOVERS " .

That does a pretty good job keeping me in check .
Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 2 months. I can speak from experience on this one. I was invited to a wedding in my 2nd month of sobriety and chose not to attend. I was in rehab the month before the wedding, and most of my friends knew it. I wasn't ready to show my face just yet, and I had no clue how I'd feel being around alcohol.

It's taken me a year to feel comfortable hanging out in the presence of drinkers - I normally choose not to be around alcohol, but sometimes in social settings there is going to be drinking. There were a lot of things I needed to sort out in my head before I even took that plunge.

If you are feeling settled, confident, and have a plan and some experience around the drinking public (as a sober person), then go for it. If you have doubts, questions, feelings of uneasiness, or any other reason to hesitate, then stay home.

Weddings are for the bride and groom. One missing buddy or friend will not raise any eyebrows. This is your choice, don't feel forced. Do what feels right and take control of your life. Good luck.