Notices

I'm quitting now

Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm quitting now

I've been drinking nearly daily for 1.5 years. Daily for 11 months. I started drinking more than just weekends when I was 22 to self medicate depression and insomnia. This was the start of my senior year of college. My last semester I was drinking maybe a 6 pack of 16 oz cheap beer every night. That summer I did some quite dumb things at parties and while I didn't really hurt anybody it was getting out of control. Before I was completely on my own I went on a week long vacation (last August) with my dad and was not drinking much, 1-3 pints a day and not getting drunk. This messed with my sleep as is often the case. That was the last time I went more than 2 days without serious drinking. Over Christmas there were a few days where I drank less and I was unable to sleep a whole night.

I moved out to the city with a friend and worked a string of ****** jobs. I justified my nightly drinking as winding down from work/sleep aid. I decided this was bad and tried using melatonin to sleep (which works for me, just not with alcohol). A few times I'd have a bottle of wine and then try to sleep with the melatonin only to wake up vomiting. Vomitting in the middle of the night happened maybe a half dozen times. My digestion was starting to suffer at this point and my appetite was dying even as I gained weight. I was only happy when buzzed and starting to face the fact that I'm an alcoholic. I thought about telling my parents but I was and am too ashamed.

To end the spiral I decided I'd move home and try to better my life from a stable place. This was May. I started looking into what alcohol withdrawl is like and got pretty spooked (I've experienced tobacco and caffeine withdrawal, boy was I in for a surprise). When I moved home I'd hide beer or whiskey under my bed and continued the habit. Nightly I'd have maybe a 22 oz of strong beer and 3-4 16 oz cans of cheap beer, all the time thinking I've got to slow the drinking down. I think I was drinking slightly less than when I was working.

A month ago my parents went on a month long vacation and I opted to house sit since I knew if I went with them for even little while I'd be unable to drink my nightly amount and would get irritable etc. They come home tonight.

Last night I had 4 beers and started looking for any remains of my stash and found now. I debated driving to the store but I'm lucky enough to resist the urge to drive while drunk -- when I was in the city I could just walk to the corner shop and buy beer or wine. I tried sleeping and woke up this morning at 4 and wasn't able to sleep for more than 30 minutes at time until I got up. This morning is when I decided to quit cold turkey. Since I'm not home alone I decided that if I develop serious withdrawal symptoms I'll have help.

It's about 5 hours before I'd normally start drinking and yesterday I drank less than normal and I'm quite anxious about what my withdrawal will be like. I'm hoping I won't have anything serious like DTs so I won't have to talk to my parents about the seriousness of my drinking before I start overcoming it. I really have a problem with shame regarding my drinking.

What advice do you folks have?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, blondmustache.

Welcome to the forum. Today is my first day as a member, and I'm on day 10 of not drinking after...31 years of drinking regularly (2-3x per week).

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on realizing that you CAN stop drinking, and on deciding to do it NOW! You're not alone, we all support you, and we're here with you every step of the struggle.

I would say having your parents know that drinking has been a problem shouldn't be TOO much of a concern for you. I actually can't wait to tell my family. It truly is a HUGE accomplishment to quit drinking. As for admitting to them you have a drinking problem, letting them know is one of the best ways to receive their support. I can't imagine a parent being angry or disappointed due to hearing their son say: "Mom, Dad, I've been drinking TOO much and I want to quit." So, yeah, I'd definitely tell them.

Also, because everyone and every body reacts differently to quitting drinking, I'd tell them just so that you are not alone during withdrawals. You may have some physical ones, you may have some psychological ones, or you may have none. Because I 'only' drank 2-3x per week, my only 'withdrawals' so far are that I'm sleeping better, looking better, and I'm losing weight.

I hope this helps. If nothing else know that you are not alone, that we are all with you, and that we are glad you joined us on here. I look forward to reading of your successes and of your joy as you live a sober life!

c
Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is especially hard for me to make up my mind to tell them since my dad was/is an alcoholic who quit drinking 18 years ago and started recently drinking again, though responsibly (he hasn't had more than 2 beers in a day). My mom quit at the same time though she didn't have a drinking problem, but she helped stage an intervention for her mom 12 years ago.

Part of me knows it's best to tell them immediately while another part of me really wants to hide my quitting from them to keep them in the dark about how serious my problem is. I just feel so ashamed.

And thanks for the response!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, no, no! Please don't feel ashamed. What you're thinking of doing should be encouraged and commended! The fact that they've been through it should actually make it easier for you. They'll certainly understand. If I've learned nothing else in this forum and during all the research I've done online about quitting drinking is that one SHOULD tell as many people as possible that one is quitting, 1. for their support, and 2. so they can help keep you honest. Now, your parents may think you are perfect, and that may be the image you don't want to ruin in their eyes, but, again, they've been through it themselves and would understand. Besides, would you rather risk ruining your health and possibly your life just so your parents think you're perfect, or whatever their image is of you? Again, they'll understand. Your health, well-being, career and life are worth too much; you have a full life ahead of you NOT to quit, NOT to tell them.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, blondmustache!

First of all, congratulations for recognizing you have a problem and reaching out for help. It takes courage to do that! I know how scary it is to think about talking to your parents about this, but I think once you do, it will be a huge relief for you.

Alcoholism run in families and it sounds like you have it on both sides, so you already had a good chance of being affected. We can recover, though, and life can be good (even though it may not feel that way right now). Just know that you're not alone - we know what it's like and are here to support you!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Told my parents. They were happy I told them and it feels like a load off my shoulders. I felt a whole lot less anxious after telling them.

SoberMarine and artsoul, thanks. I probably wouldn't have told them without some outside support.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think ,and just my opinion ,you will not have serious WD symptioms .

A couple of my friends quit from a 18 pack a day to zero with no symptoms .

I dont think you will have DT"s either ,but you could always keep a check on BP and pulse rate .
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Blondemoustache, congrats on choosing to get sober and telling your parents! You are awesome! i personally haven't told anyone yet that I've quit drinking, because mostly everyone I know would laugh and say that I don't "have a problem". Most people still think that I drink "normally".

You took a huge first step reaching out to your parents. Good luck and keep on posting. You can to the right place.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AWESOME!!! WOO!!! Congratulations, BlondMustache!!! That's great, and a HUGE first step. Now that you KNOW you have their support, you can continue down the sober path and lean on them when necessary...just not when your Dad is drinking

Once you feel comfortable, and if you continue down the sober path, you may need to tell your drinking buddies. 99% of my friends were drinking buddies, so I'll have to tell them all, haha. They're still my friends, just no longer drinking buddies. The more people who know, the less people will invite you out to drink or try to get you to drink with them.

What I'm doing now is identifying things I can do sober to fill the time that was once spent drinking. I'm planning on reading books, watching movies (in movie theaters) and pursuing my hobby of photography, things I didn't do when I drank.

Please do keep us updated, let us know if there is anything we can help with, feel free to spend time with us on here as you KNOW we won't be encouraging you to drink, stay strong, and congratulations!

c

P.S. DO WHAT YOU LOVE! PURSUE YOUR HOBBIES! PURSUE YOUR DREAMS!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had minor headaches and increased motion sickness in the car but nothing ibuprofen can't handle and my insomnia, though back, seems to be managed well by melatonin (which I no longer vomit it because my stomach isn't full of alcohol).

A lot of my hobbies fell by the wayside as my problem worsened so like you, SoberMarine, I'm looking forward to renewing them. Movies in movie theaters is the best way to watch them!

After telling my scattered siblings about my drinking problem I felt less ashamed and more free. Thanks again for encouraging me to be open.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BlondMustache -

Again, CONGRATULATIONS! Every step is a HUGE step, and you're doing GREAT! I have no doubt the headaches will subside and your former/normal sleep schedule will return. It may happen right away, or not, but PLEASE don't resort to alcohol to help as the 'fix' is only temporary, and the damage more long-lasting. I have already met people on here who have lost loved ones to alcohol. It truly is a downward spiral, and though there is always a way out, it's too easy to continue going down. Besides, there is SO much beauty in this life.

In the 12 days I have been sober I am already seeing and feeling the differences. I am thinking with a very clear mind. It's almost as if I got smarter, haha! And my sleep schedule is also returning to normal. I just can't wait to start doing things I love WITHOUT the fog of alcohol...one of those things being movies in movie theaters, then a good meal, then some desert, then a good night of sleep. I just need to find actual people to hang out with who don't drink so that I can do these things with them...though I've grown accustomed to doing things alone and am fine either way.

It's great you've told your siblings, too! It's all about baby steps, I'm learning, and not just being sober. As long as we're taking steps in the right direction, it's okay to take small steps. Definitely don't rush into things. Go at your own pace. Take a step, get comfortable with where you now stand, then take another step when you're ready. All the while you are regaining your health and adding time to your life!

We're all really proud of you, BlondMustache, and we're here for you today and every step of the way!

Cheers, buddy!

c